DSL vs. CABLE

ack

I have verizon dsl and i must say its very good. I live as far as you can get away from the dsl access point, but my area is sparsly populated so i get very good speeds.

cell4me

banned
ack said:
I live as far as you can get away from the dsl access point, but my area is sparsly populated so i get very good speeds.

Unlike cable DSL has nothing to do with how many people live in your neighborhood it is a dedicated line and you share your bandwidth with nobody, you are probably close to a remote terminal!

timothyb89

if you want a good cable internet provider, i'd use comcast. The have connections up to 7 megs(which is more than possible with DSL by the way).
There are a lot of extras, too. They give you the Pro version of McAffe, which i'm estimating is around $200 pre person. They also offer free adless web space,
which i like, but don't use (i found a better web space provider). It's good, but it goes out about all day if you upgrade your service. :D

i have comcast....its like 105 a month with cable tv (hbo included)

it used to run at 2.5, but they just upgraded it like a week ago, now its supposed to go at 4.........

ill have to do one of thos ebandwith tests to check tohugh

randruff

I may be 100% wrong here but doesnt DSL use a phone line in some way? Aren't phone lines limited to certain speeds?

cell4me

banned
randruff said:
I may be 100% wrong here but doesnt DSL use a phone line in some way? Aren't phone lines limited to certain speeds?

DSL uses your phone line but it is way faster than dialup and you can talk on your phone at the same time as useing the internet! Speeds will depend on your line distance from the co or rt and your isp, isp's like sbc and earthlink cap their speeds at 3.0mb but you can find isp's that will offer you higher speeds up to I believe 30mb's but they cost alot and are mostly used for businesses! I have a 10mb dsl but it cost me $110 a month but I run a business out of my house and with my download speed I also get upload speeds that are 4times faster than cable and I need them for transferring large files! However for the average user you wont see much of a difference in speed between say 3mb dsl and 4mb cable so just shop around and look for the best price for what you realy need!

skidude

cell4me said:
DSL uses your phone line but it is way faster than dialup and you can talk on your phone at the same time as useing the internet

So can cable ;) But, you can also watch cable tv too!! :p

timothyb89

cell4me said:
Unlike cable DSL has nothing to do with how many people live in your neighborhood it is a dedicated line and you share your bandwidth with nobody, you are probably close to a remote terminal!

Wel, You usually don't get a dedicated line with DSL, and you will have to pay a lot extra for it.

Most ISP *quietly* tell you to upgrade your service when you use a lot of bandwith. There really isn't a difference between the two. It mostly depends on the price. Cable gets faster speeds that DSL, but slows down when more people get on. DSL stays at the same speeds, but can get to be VERY
expendsive. It really depends on the price and what speed you'll need.

With VDSL, the fastest internet access avalible, you can get up to 52mbps.
But it is still very new.

So it just depends on your needs.