Dsl

I am looking at getting internet for my home. Looks like only DSL is available. But its $50/mo for 1mb service, cable near me (not available to me) is $40/mo for 12mbps. So why is DSL so much more and SO much Slower? or is it truely slower?

Mattu

That is a bit pricey for just 1mb. We pay $40 per month for 3mb, but I live in the city. I think the price is so high for you because the service might be a monopoly in your area, meaning that's it's the only broadband service available and they can charge what they want for it. What provider is it through? Mine is AT&T.

Quiltface

You must be out there, that is some pretty slow DSL and expensive too. the fastest DSL speed that ATT offers in my area is 6Mbps but is only $25. are you in a rural area?

Quiltface

Yeah, there is only 1 provider that I know about, and it is pretty rurral. they have a 5 meg option for $60..

lol go with 5 meg for $10 more. your other option is probably satellite and you dont want that... orrrr 3g/4g and you can get a mobile router.

ScOuT

VIP Member
$50 a month for DSL 1 is a ripoff. That seems like a lot to me. I have been using DSL my entire adult life and have never paid that much for that slow of service. The very first internet I bought was DSL 2 which was 11 years ago and it was not even that much. DSL itself is not any slower or faster than other types...the speeds are the speeds...that's it. Looks like your internet provider just does not have the hardware to increase the speeds in your area.

I only have DSL available also...here in Germany I pay 29 Euros a month (about $40) for DSL 16 mb (which is 13 mb download and 3 mb upload). I also get a 10 Euro flat rate phone service...unlimited calls for only 10 Euros a month. DSL 50 will be available here in June (38 mb download and 12 mb upload)

I like my internet service...been rock solid for 6 year I have lived in this house.

http://dsl.1und1.de/xml/order/DslEi...&__rd=ac170c57FRTQZz1B17ZXQy8ns2UOYtGs&origin[site]=ST.EUE.DE&origin[page]=index