Dslr suggestions

Hi, I need a suggestion for a dslr camera with a lens included for about $600 or less. It needs to be black, and the more megapixels, the better. I want to be able to get good pictures by zoom, and landscapes. It needs to have a rechargeable battery, and it needs to use Sd memory cards, Mmc or memory stick. Thanks

Also, please suggest a tripod and carrying case if possible. The camera itself has to be around $600, the accessories can be more.

Ok, thanks. My laptop only has a 4/1 media card reader, and our printer doesn't read cf either. The nikon d60 is good, looking into the combination pack.

Geoff

VIP Member
The cameras come with a standard USB cable, or you can buy a CF card reader for under $20. The D60 is a great camera (again, from what I've heard). I had the XTi before so I have some experience with that particular camera.

It would be best to Google "Nikon D60 Review" and read several articles/reviews.

Geoff

VIP Member
The XTi's price dropped about $100 since the release of the Rebel XSi, so it's a pretty good deal now.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Why does every body seem to want a DSLR now?

Answer this question before you go any farther:
- Why do I need/ want a DSLR over an advanced point and shoot?

Lately it seems that people buy DSLR's and just use them as glorified P&S's, shooting in green mode (full auto).

Bob

Geoff

VIP Member
^ Very true. The Canon S5 IS for $350 is a great SLR-Like P&S camera. I had the S3 IS and it took excellent photos.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Yup,
My first camera was a S3-IS and some of my favorite shots were taken with it.
When I found out it wasn't able to suit all my needs I upgraded to the K10D.

Bob

Ok, our local staples had the cannon reble xti, but it was $60 more than online. After looking at it, it was amazing. However, the lens was really bad. It was an 18-55mm zoom lense, and I tried to take a picture of a box across the store, it looked liked a cropped version of what I was seeing, or almost what I saw with my eyes. Almost no zoom. So could someone suggest a compatible lens the is good at zooming?

edit: Also, newegg only has silver body only versions. Does anyone know if I can get a black body only xti?
edit: Also, newegg only shows one lens, which costs $550. Are there any cheaper lenses that are good like in the $300 range?

Ok, I am also open to suggestions on $1000-1400 dslr cameras with good lenses.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Sir Travis what experience do you have shooting in manual modes? Like Vroom brought up, if your buying a DSLR just to shoot in full auto its really not a very economical choice and your not going to be happy with your results.

Some things to consider:

Your gonna need a better flash than the one that comes with the xti, the 430ex is your best option but its added cost. As for an affordable zoom lens, the 75-300 but its bottom of the barrel, still good, but dont expect to really unleash the cameras potential until you are willing to shoot in manual mode and spend some real money on a couple decent lenses.

I'm sure with a few months of using it, I can learn how to use a dslr. Now, I don't think we can spend $200 on a flash alone, so I am looking into cameras that are dslr, and have a good zoom lens. I mean, the 18-55mm zoom lens that's included on the xti is worse than my $100 camera's combined 5x digital and 3x optical zoom. I assume the more mm, the more zoom, but I would also like to have a lense that is good at portrait type photos too, so I do not have to change them all the time.

edit: the 75-300 lense looks good, but will I be able to take non-zoom photos with it?

edit: This has better reviews, will it be a better COMPATIBLE lens? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830998812

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
just having more mm is not going to do much for you. Yes you will get more zoom but the flipside is you will get significantly less quality and a higher aperture on cheaper lenses. Also most dslr's do not come with a zoom lens packaged with it, the stock lens with the xti is an incredibly powerful lens in fact, i use it more than some of my pricier lenses. It comes down to learning how to use it and what its capabilities are. You may want to investigate how much telephoto lenses cost before you willy nilly by a dslr thinking you can pick them for cheap because you cant. Most decent ones cost more than your camera body runs :0

also, dont discard the idea of buying an external flash...your going to want one ;)

If your not willing to spend the money on your new dslr hobby, then you may want to stick with a high end P&S

Ok, but the lens really didn't zoom. Are there any lenses that can take close up photos like 18mm and get maybe 150mm zoom?

edit: It's not like I don't want to spend the money, we don't have $2092 for everything I need an upgrade on. I don't need a $4000 telephoto lens, I just want a good dslr that has a good closeup/zoom lens.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Do you know how f-stops work? You may want to research the subject because they will become your best friend in your search for lenses. Basically, the lower the number, the better the lens quality is going to be (to an extent)

That lens would be a pretty good choice for a good knock around lens that you could use for a variety of different situations, but its not going to get the results of a telephoto zoom if thats what your looking for.

What I want is a decently priced lens that can take a picture of landscapes, zoom in on a sports game, or anything in between. I don't want to be taking pictures of the stars or anything. I need an overall good lens for different situations, and since this is my first dslr I don't need a professional lens.

now, the xti body is around $550 on newegg. I found the body here for $300

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7689

Does that look like a good site?

edit: Looks like a fraudulent website.. from reviews atleast

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
lol, you need to realize there is no one solution lens that does it all thats what im trying to explain to you. There are different lenses for different situations and if you want to do several different types of photography situations, then you will need several different lenses at your disposal. Dont expect to find a 'one size fits all' solution.