Dslr suggestions

massahwahl

VIP Member
yes but its not going to have telephoto zoom which is what i believe you think it will have...

Im trying to be condescending and i hope you dont see it that way im trying to help, but what reasons do you REALLY have to buy a dslr over a high end P&S that you could learn to shoot manual on in preparation for a nice dslr one day?

What reasons do I want to have a dslr?

1. Professional photographers have them
2. I want to learn by using one
3. I need a better camera than the one right now
4. They take better pictures
5. They look better

What is the difference between a telephoto and the link I suggested? I don't see how a $900+ camera will not take decent portraits and zooms.

massahwahl

VIP Member
In response to...

1. 'Professionals' dont own XLI's... Professionals also own more than one lens and spent a hell of a lot of money on them than $400. The cheapest one I bought was almost $700

2. The only somewhat acceptable reason you gave

3.A high end P&S would be better than what you have now and easier for you too

4. Only if the user knows how to take better pictures

5.So you want one to make you look cool?

Research the difference between standard zoom and telephoto lens. Also research f-stops and shutter speeds and how they work together. PLEASE do your research before you go out and spend bookoo bucks on a camera you will buy then wonder why it doesnt take 'professional' looking pictures for you.

jimmymac

VIP Member
As Uke says, its really worth weighing up just how much you need/how much you will use a Digital SLR as it can become quite a money hole once you really get into it.

My current setup with mine has cost me near £900 ($1800) thus far and i'm still looking to add more to it. However I try to take it absolutely everywhere with me and even plan specific days to go places where my main aim is to take pictures.

If your taking pictures of family and friend and the odd landscape shot here or there then its a fairly impractical solution when a decent point and shoot would do a more than capable job.

It can become a quite involved hobby in the end, a thoroughly rewarding one at that but its not one you should get into if you think you might see the newness of it wear off insde a couple of months.

If it is something you really want to get into then your best bet is just to get camera and the packaged lens (usually an 18-55mm) and use that as a starting base. Yes the lens can't zoom massively but it will still produce some fantastic pictures and give you a chance to get a hang of the camera and its various functions and see if its really for you. From there you can look to invest in a new lens at a later date, choosing a new lens is more often than not more difficult than choosing a camera itself as theres far more variety out there.

jimmymac

VIP Member
i don't thin i even realised what an investment it was until the day I had to get all my equipment insured :D

massahwahl

VIP Member
^^^ eeks! I havnt reached that point yet but im probably getting close... how much does your insurance typically cost you and what does it cover?

Ok, so I'll use the 18-55mm zoom lens, and bring my telescope and take zoom pictures through my telescope.

Lol, I'm sure I could use the default lens for a while.

I'd rather have a camera that takes decent pictures and looks cool rather than a silver rectangle that can take good pictures.

Also, a question about the newegg combo deal that includes the camera, extra battery, tripod ect for $730 - What will the total shipping be on everything?

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

lol, you still dont get it do you...:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I myself, first used an SLR, Digital Camera, then an Advanced Digital Camera, and then moved up to DSLR.

Don't be close minded on a DSLR.. The people who are responding to your posts know what they are talking about, and are giving you great responses.

I'd rather have a camera that takes decent pictures and looks cool rather than a silver rectangle that can take good pictures.

*Smacks head*
Shoulda had a V8.

g4m3rof1337

But a dslr is better.. I don't see why people are saying not to get one...

Not always ..

For what you want to do, an advanced Point and Shoot camera would be great. Getting a DSLR, accessories, and keeping it safe would be a waste of money.

Looks can be deceiving..

And we're not forcing you to buy something, we're trying to help you and give you feedback on a thread you made seeking help/feedback.

g4m3rof1337

First off, dont underestimate anything. Second, dont buy an expensive camera by how it looks. And third, I purchased a DSLR a few months ago, and I find myself learning as I go, and talking to Bob, Vroomskies, on settings and whatnot.

If you broadened your horizons, you'd see there is a lot more out there.

If your willing to be open minded, and reasonable, I am sure we'll be more glad to help.