Dslr suggestions

My thread was not created on whether or not to get a dslr or non-dslr, I wanted to know what's the best dslr option for about $700..

g4m3rof1337

It doesn't really work like that. I went from an SLR to an Advanced P&S to a DSLR.

You just wont be utilizing the whole camera if you jump right into it.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Travis,
Just in case your wondering, whats been posted in this thread is not lies.
It's critical to understand what your getting into before making the leap.

We obviously can't stop you from wasting your money, or your parents money. However were trying our best to persuade you into making a knowledgeable decision.

Anyways...
As with kits, they have to be even across the board. What I mean by that is... You can't skimp on one part or another. Especially in photography. Lenses are a CRITICAL piece, you can't just buy any lens and expect to get good results. The reason for the price difference in the lens you posted is out right quality, that is it, you get what you pay for nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with learning as you go. What you have to understand is that it's not the easiest of processes. If you are going to stick with it, great. Just make sure your willing to stick with it before you invest in it. Going along with this, just stick with the kit lens for now. Once you understand all the camera's functions and are comfy with it. That is when you make the next step into buying glass, not before that.

DSLR photography is a ton of fun. Just make sure you're not getting into it for the wrong reasons. Just because 'Pros' shoot with DSLR's (mind you they aren't shooting with XTI's) doesn't mean diddly squat.

Hope that helped
Bob

I have tried two different point and shoot non-dslr cameras. I do not want a top of the line $3000 camera. As Vroom says, the xti is in the middle, and that is what I want.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Actually the XTI is basically bottom of the barrel, but that doesn't mean it cant take good shots. As stated before it's up to the photographer to produce the results.

Bob

g4m3rof1337

I think we should just stop trying to help this kid..

Timmie, Vroom_skies, and Myself were talking to Travis in Vent, and he was acted really immature, and pretty much just ignoring our advice, so..

Look. I don't need a professional camera. If I get the xti, why would I need an additional $500 lens? A $1000 camera is overkill compared to a $300 point and shoot. I just wanted a suggestion for a low end lens for the xti, but people like g4m3r1337 do not help, they just try to say I do not need one.

g4m3rof1337

Look. I don't need a professional camera. If I get the xti, why would I need an additional $500 lens? A $1000 camera is overkill compared to a $300 point and shoot. I just wanted a suggestion for a low end lens for the xti, but people like g4m3r1337 do not help, they just try to say I do not need one.

This is going to turn into a flame war. I was not telling you to not buy one. I was giving you valid facts on not to waste your money, and to get the next best thing. Timmie and Vroom can back me up on this, as well as any other poster in this thread.

To end any potential flame war, I will leave this thread.

Thanks, if the only thing you can do is tell me not to get something my family and I want, you do not need to be here. Since I already know what I am getting, the canon xti, I can go elsewhere for help on this issue.

Maybe if people did not know I was 14 and thought I was in my 20's, people would be more mature.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
If you don't want to spend hundreds-thousands on a lens, then just go with the XTi kit, which comes with an 18-55mm lens (IIRC).

massahwahl

VIP Member
I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks this kid is not seeing the picture clearly...

Look, go buy the camera and a crappy lens and let's see what you can do. But DO NOT come and complain about no live view, manual zoom, and so-so pictures when you only use auto mode.

Just do yourself a favor and try and learn and understand the exposure triangle and how to correctly pick out lenses before you blow your money on a glorified point and shoot.

Punk

Staff member
Ukulele is right, a DSLR is not easy to use properly.

I went from a Digital camera to a DSLR and it was reallly hard to use it in manual mode, thank god the D40 had an auto shoot. But if you're not as eager to learn how to use your DSLR like I am, you can easily fall into the P&S option of the D40. I am still learning basic features on my DSLR and I had it for months.

If you are still willing to get a DSLR, may I suggest you start with a Nikon D40 or a D40x? I have the D40 and it is all I need at the moment, and I don't think I'm a pro but I took a few nice shots with it.

The more MP you get doesn't mean the better picture will be. It all depends on the lens and the settings. I have 6MP, and it is enough.

If you want, you can also have a look at Bridges or DSLR-like camera we call it here. They have around 10x zooms.

Also you have to understand that each type of lens has it's purpose and one that offers a focal range of 28-300mm has it's downs in aperture or overall quality. I have two lenses: 18-55mm Nikon Lens which is very good and a 70-300mm that has a higher aperture.

massahwahl

VIP Member
check this guy out Its got the 'DSLR' look to it but a 12x zoom which you said you wanted. I used to have the earlier model from this series and LOVED it, its also what i learned about exposure and shooting in manual one so it was a nice stepping stone. You would not be dissapointed with this one.

Irishwhistle

In response to your list...

1. Professional photographers have them - Professional photographers have Mark IIIs
2. I want to learn by using one - Why not start out by using your current cameras manual mode or getting a step up point and shoot if your cameras manual mode is that bad.
3. I need a better camera than the one right now - What camera is it? There's plenty of decent point and shoots that won't break the bank.
4. They take better pictures - It's the photographer that makes a difference
5. They look better - Check out cameras like the Fuji S700 if you want looks... it should take care of all the above points too... (except for #1, but then the pros don't use XTis...)

I'm not trying to convince you not to get what you want... I'm just trying to help you and make sure you KNOW what you want. Make sure you try out the camera you want before you buy...

Oh, yeah, and remember... there is no one lens (especially an inexpensive one) that can do everything.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Yeah, pretty much the only time you see an XTi with a Pro Photographer, is for a back-up camera, even then, not verry likely. Most use 30 or 40D's as their backup (some even have 2-3 1DsMKIII's :p /jeliousy)

As Irishwistle said, it's the person behind the eye-piece that makes the difference, not the camera. The camera just makes it a little easier somtimes. And without knowledge of all the camera's settings, you have absolutly no buisness having a DSLR, because thats what they are meant for, photographers, and you cant call yourself a photographer if you dont know how to adjust settings to get that great photo.

I hate it when I have some of my friends start talking about how awsome my DSLR is, and how they have always wanted one and cant wait to get one, then not a few moments later start saying things like "what's this button do?" "what the hell is ISO?" "Shutter what?" what "does that 2.8 mean on the lense thingy?" "whats WB?" and one of my favorites..."What does that button on the front do?"(refering to the shutter button"

I have tons more stupid questions ive been asked about my camera, I cant believe to wonder what kind of questions I would get with a 1DsMKIII because there are even a couple buttons on there that I dont even know (although im sure I would be smart enough to figure it out).