Dslr suggestions

Irishwhistle

Way to bring one of my points into a huge discussion. I meant photographers user dslr's, not the xti specifically.

Yeah, I know... basically if you're interested in getting into photography (maybe even professionally someday) then yes, get a DSLR, but you can't expect to be taking kick-butt photos on an XTi's auto mode.

What kind of camera do you currently have?

Check out these two articles:

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/312/10+Reasons+NOT+to+Buy+a+DSLR+Camera/

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/308/10+Reasons+to+Buy+a+DSLR+Camera/

Geoff

VIP Member
IMO a high quality P&S camera such as the Canon S5 IS will take better photos on Auto mode then the XTi would.

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1035504 said:
IMO a high quality P&S camera such as the Canon S5 IS will take better photos on Auto mode then the XTi would.

Hmm... maybe, I've never used either cameras (I've used the XT though) so I don't really know how they compare... and I suppose considering that you have both you would know. That would be interesting to see how two images of the same exact thing (one taken with the XTi on full auto and one with the S5 IS on full auto) would compare... care to show us? :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Hmm... maybe, I've never used either cameras (I've used the XT though) so I don't really know how they compare... and I suppose considering that you have both you would know. That would be interesting to see how two images of the same exact thing (one taken with the XTi on full auto and one with the S5 IS on full auto) would compare... care to show us? :)
I have the Canon S3 IS and Canon XSi, so the difference is even more apparent. I will take an identical photo with both cameras on "Auto" mode, and then again on "P" mode.

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1035598 said:
I have the Canon S3 IS and Canon XSi, so the difference is even more apparent. I will take an identical photo with both cameras on "Auto" mode, and then again on "P" mode.

Oh, I didn't know you upgraded, but it doesn't really matter... I'm gonna get a Nikon which is automatically better than any Canon. :p

Sounds good... thanks! :)

Geoff

VIP Member
It's hard to get an identical looking shot, I had the tripod in the same spot but the lens is different on both cameras (the XSi has a wider field of view), so I tried to crop them both the best I could.

This is a photo taken with the Canon S3 IS on full auto mode (f/3.2, 1/60sec, no flash):
IMG_0370.jpg

Here is the same location shot with the Canon Rebel XSi on full auto mode (f/5.6, 1/125sec, flash). Please note that this was taken with a flash, I could not disable it on full auto mode.:

IMG_0369.jpg

And here's another shot of the same location with the Canon Rebel XSi on "P" mode, which contains my personalized settings (f/5, 1/60sec, no flash):

IMG_0371.jpg

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1035663 said:
It's hard to get an identical looking shot, I had the tripod in the same spot but the lens is different on both cameras (the XSi has a wider field of view), so I tried to crop them both the best I could.

This is a photo taken with the Canon S3 IS on full auto mode (f/3.2, 1/60sec, no flash):
IMG_0370.jpg

Here is the same location shot with the Canon Rebel XSi on full auto mode (f/5.6, 1/125sec, flash). Please note that this was taken with a flash, I could not disable it on full auto mode.:

IMG_0369.jpg

And here's another shot of the same location with the Canon Rebel XSi on "P" mode, which contains my personalized settings (f/5, 1/60sec, no flash):

IMG_0371.jpg

Nice! Thanks for posting those... although they're so similar it's hard to decide which is better... :p There is less purple fringing on the XSi though.

Geoff

VIP Member
Nice! Thanks for posting those... although they're so similar it's hard to decide which is better... :p There is less purple fringing on the XSi though.
You are right about that, it's especially noticeable on the white birch trees.

I hate how the XSi used the flash though, really messed up the comparison :(

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1035713 said:
You are right about that, it's especially noticeable on the white birch trees.

I hate how the XSi used the flash though, really messed up the comparison :(

Yeah :p I hate flash unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah :p I hate flash unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.
So do I, but that's auto mode for you. I just love it when I see people with their small P&S cameras that are trying to take a picture through the glass, and they have the flash on. :rolleyes:

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1036342 said:
So do I, but that's auto mode for you. I just love it when I see people with their small P&S cameras that are trying to take a picture through the glass, and they have the flash on. :rolleyes:

Yup, I've seen people do that... it's not exactly the most effective way of making the image look better :p

Punk

Staff member
HAHAHAHAHA!!!:rolleyes:
Sorry, I couldnt help it :p

I have nothing against Nikon at all, it's just the statment, haha....It's true in SOME cases, but false in more :p

If chris pirillo hates nikon, I do.

You should have laughed at that!

Nikon offers the best entry price SLR (D40).

I've read many reviews of many sites on the D40 compared to other same category SLR and it came out first 85% of the time.