Dual Boot Question

Gravegun

This is whats going on. I have 120 GB in this Dell Vostro 1000 I formated and made three parts, Two for Ubuntu, one witch is a swap and other is 10 GB. Then I installed Windows XP Pro and didn't even think about the boot set up. Yea I know I am a supreme idiot. Well I was wondering if there is some simplistic way like modifiying the Boot.ini to pick up Ubuntu or am I going to have to start it all over again...?

PC eye

banned
I haven't dual booted Linux on the last few builds here that much. But the first thing there with Linux is the need for a Linux type boot loader with an install into the master boot record as well as entries in the Linux bootmenu.lst file. Grub and Lilo are the two main Linux boot loaders while some others like Super Grub can be found.

Simpply editing the boot.ini even for another version or copy of the same Windows wouldn't see that load either. Some people right here on CF are current XP/ubuntu dual booters that can advise you on seeing the distro work for you there.

However I can add here that one of the ubuntu boot managers seen on floppy would readily detect any drive and the partitions on it where you simply selected the partition to see whatever OS was on it load up. You simply set the floppy as the default boot device, Unfortunately the download page could never be relocated again for that one while there some 3rd party type universal boot loaders that will start up any OS by simply selecting it from a list or screen full of buttons.