dual boot (Win XP and Win 98)?

laxma

I have two hard drives. first one is seagate barracuda 200 GB and second one is seagate barracuda 40GB. I'm still using win98 now. But i'm planning to upgrade my OS to Win XP home. However, i think i still need my win 98. So, I heard this dual boot system by Win XP. I'm interested to have two OS in my system.But i have no idea how to do that...

Thanks a million

Don

jesbax

you can install win xp on the 2nd drive. Then whin you reboot it will come to a screen and you can choose with you want to boot first.
100 GB Maxon HD
16x DVD-ROM
52x32x52x CD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64/Model 64 Pro
RAGE 128 GL AGP
VIA Rhine II
ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI

laxma

Ok, here's the deal.

I only have one computer that i shared with my bro'.
I installed picture editing apps (Adobe, Corel, Macromedia stuffs). and for my old computer, there just barely enough "power" to run all these apps. while my bro wants to play those sophisticated 3D, resource-thirst game. I just can't have 'em all in the same system. so I thought I migrate to winXP and let my bro have his game on the win 98. Well, what do you think, suggestion perhaps...?

Thanks..

zippo615

laxma said:
I have two hard drives. first one is seagate barracuda 200 GB and second one is seagate barracuda 40GB. I'm still using win98 now. But i'm planning to upgrade my OS to Win XP home. However, i think i still need my win 98. So, I heard this dual boot system by Win XP. I'm interested to have two OS in my system.But i have no idea how to do that...

Thanks a million

Don

the thing is, on da 40GB HDD, u repartition it. the primary partition is FAT32.. install it wif win98.. after u finished the win98 installation, continue wif a win xp cd.. boot the computer from da cd.. choose to format the extended partition with NTFS.. install win xp in the extended partition.

the rule of dual boot is:
install the earlier version of win first.. then the latest one..

any question, pls do ask me. tq

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Damn ... do you speak like that too? ;)

I installed picture editing apps (Adobe, Corel, Macromedia stuffs). and for my old computer, there just barely enough "power" to run all these apps. while my bro wants to play those sophisticated 3D, resource-thirst game.
Gonna need some specs

laxma

P4 1,6 Ghz
256 MB PC 133 SDRAM Visipro
64 MB PC 133 SDRAM Visipro
MB ABIT, dunno the series
40GB Seagate ATA133 (with W98 SE)
200GB Seagate ATA133 (just data)

Does my comp spec influence the dual boot capability?
I'm thinking 'bout upgrading or buying new one though (but still far and away^_^)

Thanks

zippo615

Praetor said:
Not really

basically, dual boot does effect ur pc performance.. what u must do is, try to use much advance spec to reach ur latest version of O/S requirements.. thats all...