Dual booting Ubuntu and windows 7

OxfordPCRepairs

Hi Guys I could do with some guidance please , I would like to dual boot Linux and windows 7 , I have 3 hard drives 2x 2TB and 1x128gb solid state drive , which would be the best combination to use for setting up please , Or what would you recommend ,

Cheers Roger

Ankur

Which version Ubuntu you have? How much space do you need for it?

It is an easy install, just go to the setup file and choose password username and select the drive in which you want to install if you have the latest version. Install it in the HDD and assign space for it. It automatically dual boots after few restarts.

OxfordPCRepairs

Thanks for the response Ankur the Ubuntu version I have is 12.04 , With regarding how much space I don't know ? I have an idea of using one 2tb for win7 and the other 2tb for Ubuntu ,

Ankur

Windows works perfectly with SSDs, not sure about Linux, a person with SSD will answer this best. I have experienced Ubuntu boots fast enough in normal HDD too, but that is if you want to save SSD space.

OxfordPCRepairs

Ankur if you where in my position what would you do , Install Win 7 on SSD and install ubuntu onto the 2TB drive

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
As far as setting up a Windows and Ubuntu dual-boot is concerned, it's easy. Just install Windows first, then when you come to install Ubuntu you can choose which drive to install it and set-up multi-boots etc really easily.

As for where to install the OS's, both Windows 7 and Ubuntu run well on SSDs. If you have a 128GB drive and you want both OSes to take advantage of the SSD, do a 64GB/64GB split. If you're not fussed about speed, then put one on the SSD and one on the 2TB drive.

How many programs are you going to run on each OS? At the moment with Windows 7 Pro and stuff like Visual Studio, Adobe Master Suite and games all loaded onto my SSD I have around 30GB of free space. If you're going to install loads of stuff on one then you want the most space possible.

Hope this helps?

OxfordPCRepairs

Sorry for the late reply went camping last night just got back, the idea of the 50/50 split on the SSD would it be 3 partitions so more likely to be 60gb 60gb and 8 gb the smaller being the boot configuration data partition , or will 50/50 suffice

wolfeking

banned
it would be 2 partitions. the boot table will be installed by ubuntu on the appropriate space. 64 GB is an outrageous amount for ubuntu. Really unless you are planning on storing large files, 20 GB would be way above enough. It will install and operate on 8GB.

Perkomate

I had a ubuntu install running on 10gb, and there wasn't much hassle. It sort of depends with what you want to use it for.
It's really easy to install though. When I did it on a netbook, I didn't even have to make a partition - Ubuntu did it for me.