Dual Booting with Vista?

Azalea13

Getting a new laptop: ibm T61. I have a choice of getting WinXP or Vista.
I'm planning to repartition and dual boot my laptop with fedora.
I'm wondering if I should choose vista or XP.

spanky

Vista would probably run generally a lot slower than XP. Linspire is a great linux to start off from if you've never used linux before. It is a lot like windows without the stability problem. A lot of people tell you Ubuntu is a great beginner distro but honestly the only ubuntu distro I would even think about trying is Xubuntu. Linux mint is another good distro; it is based off of the ubuntu repos but it's a lot more umm... well just read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint#Comparison_with_Ubuntu

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Fedora was a headache to get running here after repeat downloads and burns to disk since one or more files wouldn't install correctly. Fedora is a Red Hat distro over ubuntu which many favor, SUSe, Mandriva, etc.. The first thing most often advised when looking into getting started with Linux is simply trying out the live for cd/dvd distros before planning to split a drive for any. Regardless of distro it's still a different OS altogether there.

Azalea13

Why is it not a good idea to get started with RedHat or something instead of ubuntu or fedora ... etc.?
Also I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "trying out the live for cd/dvd distros before planning to split a drive for any" ...

Thank you so much :)

PC eye

banned
Fedora is one of the Red Hat distros namely more of a server type while others like SUSe, Debian, Mandrake, kubuntu, and others are more for the stand alone desktop. Small distros like Puppy, Zenwalk, and some others are usually pointed at for being the easier for the newbie to learn.

A live for cd distro is a self contained OS on a cd where you simply boot from that without a need to install anything to the hard drive. In fact Knopix gets a high award for being a life saver when an MS partition becomes inaccessible and you simply boot from a Knoppix live cd to copy files from the unavailable drive/partition.

Michael

Go with Vista, and dual boot Ubuntu.. both are very easy to get into.

As for Vista running slower than XP, that's entirely probable... but the machine, base model, that you're getting should run majority of the Vista distros no problem.. I'd suggest 2GB of RAM if you intend to go with Ultimate, though.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would go with Xp and dual boot with Suse but thats just me,I like Suse better than Ubuntu:)

luckyedboy66

since were on the subject of linux, and seeing as how im a n00b when it comes to linux, why do they have such weird names, like fendora, ubuntu, and suse? and whats the difference?

spanky

since were on the subject of linux, and seeing as how im a n00b when it comes to linux, why do they have such weird names, like fendora, ubuntu, and suse? and whats the difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Why Vista, XP, ME? The only reason the linux names sound weird is because you just not used to them. There are many different linux distro's; the difference being in functionality, style, and stability. Some are made for server use. Some are made for desktops but are still in development and a little unstable. Some are very stable but have limited function, etc, etc.

PC eye

banned
Linux is an open source OS rather then being limited in ways like you see with Windows. Someone can submit an improvement and it will be seen in the next or following release of a particular distro. Zenwalk is a newer and smaller distro over Darnsmall, Puppy, Gentoo, Mepis, Knoppix, etc. each with..? as the expression goes "their own flavor of the month" when something new is added.

Newer distros now offer some support for otherwise MS limited games and apps. Each new set of improvements often becomes incoporated into a new Linux version accounting for the large variety of names used. With Linux one thing to add here is the lack of need for 2gb of ram. Based on the old UNIX platform the older releases could run on only 4mb of ram making most smaller distros easy to use on old systems there. Even the latest and largest don't chew up memory like even the Home Premium version of Vista.