dual core i7?

jkrause6

does anyone know if intel in going to have dual core i7s and when if ever they will come out. i don't really need a quad and i figure the duals will probably out overclock the quads, maybe even have higher default clock speeds. i'm gunna wait til windows 7 comes out to upgrade. i want to put in a supper RAID, 4 raptors or ssds w/ a hot raid card so gunna have to reinstall everything and only want to do it once. i figure in a year ssds will be faster more reliable and cheeper. like maybe something as good as the intel drives at like ~$200 each or less. Also i bet a can get some cl6 1600mhz ddr3 by then. i'm excited about this build. if anyone knows anything about upcoming intel dual cores please let me know.

thanks,

EGS

banned
You might as well go for a quad...it's better anyway. Look at it as a future investment/savings.

jkrause6

will intel ever come out with a dual core that has an on die memory controller? the only programs that currently multi thread are pretty much games. i use my computer for adobe cs mostly. it's memory intensive. i have an e8500 at 3.8 (423 x 9) w/ 2 old raptors in raid 0 and it's fast (423 was the fastest i could get the bus w/ all 4 dimm slots full and i had to settle for cl5). almost never any lag unless i'm doing to many things at once witch only happens like 1% of the time. quads just seem kinda pointless. i mean computers are NEVER fast enough, more speed is always welcome but unless your a server or until adobe comes out with a multitheading version of creative suite then 2 cores are plenty. you can only push 1 button at a time and if every process is pretty much instant there is no need for 4 cores. the only time my computer sputters is in rendering and more cores isn't going to help with that. a dual i7 would probably be a monster overclocker (equivalent to a penryn at 5ghz fast i bet). it's a shame if they never build one.

Twist86

Well quads are not loved right now unless you do work where the cores matter.

However Windows 7 plans to do a cpu/gpu configuration which if I understand it will take some of the load off the GPU and do the calcuations on the CPU. Which would give more powerful graphical performance making quad cores superior for gaming.

The fact they can run Crysis without a GPU even though the FPS sucks...its still fantastic. A lot of potential there.

Also I think we will see quad titles by July 09.

ScOuT

VIP Member
The answer is YES...they do plan on releasing a dual core i7, it will be a little different though. They will be made for LGA 1156 socket and have 32nm architecture. It will be an i7 but yet it won't. Some sites claim they have already started making them and stockpiling.

Lynnfield - 4 Core next gen i7
Havendale - 2 Core next gen i7

A few people claim they will be released in the 4th quarter 2009 or the 1st quarter 2010...we'll just have to wait and see:) I was really thinking about doing an i7 build this spring...but I think I will wait and see what these are about.

DirtyD86

banned
The answer is YES...they do plan on releasing a dual core i7, it will be a little different though. They will be made for LGA 1156 socket and have 32nm architecture. It will be an i7 but yet it won't. Some sites claim they have already started making them and stockpiling.

where are you getting this information from? everything i have read has said that the i7 will be specific to four or more cores. not saying you are wrong, just if it's true i'd like to read about it

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/251155,the-computer-helper-intels-new-i7-chips--feature.html

excerpt from above link
"Q: Are there both dual-core and quad-core i7 chips?

A: No. The i7 is a quad-core only processor, at least for now. It's doubtful that a dual-core design will be produced. Four cores - and more - are clearly the future."

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
where are you getting this information from? everything i have read has said that the i7 will be specific to four or more cores. not saying you are wrong, just if it's true i'd like to read about it

That was a bad choice of words I used and I apologize for the mis information.

They will make a Dual Core based on the Nehalem micro architecture but it will not be an actual Core i7. They will have the same architecture. You are correct...Core i7 is specific to quads. Many people think the new processors will be the Core i5. People claim to have already tested them and showing benchmarks...I could make those shots in Adobe Photoshop in about 15 minutes...I don't believe any of them yet. Here is about all Intel has said on the new series.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20081209corp.htm

As far as I could ever find...Intel has not really made an official announcement as to what it really is. Nothing really is fact at this point that I could find. I copied this from an article and was going to paste it in last night in my original post. It was from tech news magazine in the UK. Who even knows how true this is?

"Fortunately, Intel's CPU roadmap also includes lower-priced alternatives to the Core i7, codenamed Lynnfield and Havendale. The Lynnfield and Havendale CPU models are to follow Intel's current Core i7 processors, codenamed Bloomfield. These new processors are slated to launch sometime in Q4 2009, and will be designed for the mainstream market, coming with a price tag of under $200. Despite the fact that we are still far from an official release, it appears that one of the Lynnfield model processors has already been put through its paces."

If they do perform as well as they are expected to for a price launch under $200...it might become popular quick.

Last edited:
However Windows 7 plans to do a cpu/gpu configuration which if I understand it will take some of the load off the GPU and do the calcuations on the CPU. Which would give more powerful graphical performance making quad cores superior for gaming.

I was actually just reading an article in maximum pc about that, I think it was more just a fix so if you have a graphics card that doesnt support DX10 it just performs DX10 on the proc, so that basically regardless of what video card you have you can still have all the eye candy of DX10 in games like Crysis and Farcry 2

StrangleHold

Staff member
no, the i7 will only feature 4 cores.

Oh I bet they will, and I say they already have some i7 stacked on a self with bad core/cores or really slows ones just like AMD had, hence the X3 and X2 7750. Just because they are Intel doesnt mean they are perfect, they produce more CPUs so I say they probable have more defected ones than AMD does. So the longer they make the i7 the more they will have and they are not going to trash can them no more then AMD did.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
They will make a Dual Core based on the Nehalem micro architecture but it will not be an actual Core i7. They will have the same architecture. You are correct...Core i7 is specific to quads. Many people think the new processors will be the Core i5. People claim to have already tested them and showing benchmarks...I could make those shots in Adobe Photoshop in about 15 minutes...I don't believe any of them yet. Here is about all Intel has said on the new series.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20081209corp.htm

As far as I could ever find...Intel has not really made an official announcement as to what it really is. Nothing really is fact at this point that I could find. I copied this from an article and was going to paste it in last night in my original post. It was from tech news magazine in the UK. Who even knows how true this is?

"Fortunately, Intel's CPU roadmap also includes lower-priced alternatives to the Core i7, codenamed Lynnfield and Havendale. The Lynnfield and Havendale CPU models are to follow Intel's current Core i7 processors, codenamed Bloomfield. These new processors are slated to launch sometime in Q4 2009, and will be designed for the mainstream market, coming with a price tag of under $200. Despite the fact that we are still far from an official release, it appears that one of the Lynnfield model processors has already been put through its paces."

If they do perform as well as they are expected to for a price launch under $200...it might become popular quick.

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/200...ns-45nm-auburndale-and-havendale-fusion-cpus/

Not gonna happen.