Dual-Core or Core 2 Duo

thebigdintx

core 2 duo is the better processor architecture, so i think even though it's .4 GHz less in it's listed speed, the core 2 duo will still be faster. you can't compare GHz across different chip arcitectures equally as far as i know.

realmike15

according to every article i've read, the architecture is ALOT better on the Core 2 Duos than Dual Cores. the gap is even bigger with P4 vs. Core2Duo.

my Core2Duo at 2.33Ghz benchmarks ALOT better than my 3.2Ghz P4 even on applications that only take advantage of 1 core.

to answer your question, Core2Duo. the only reason to get a Dual-Core anymore is if your using an old Mobo that doesn't support Core2Duo

Geoff

VIP Member
First, are you talking about the older Pentium D dual-cores, or the Pentium dual-cores?

The Pentium dual-core is built off of the same architecture as the Core 2 Duo's, except they have a lower FSB and smaller cache.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Is it better to have Dual Core 2.0GHz or to have Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz?
Core 2 Duo is a dual-core. It would help a lot if we knew what exact dual-core you're referring to by "Dual Core 2.0GHz". Generally, though, Core2Duo > Pentium Dual-Core > Celeron Dual-Core > Athlon (64) X2 > Pentium D as far as clock-for-clock performance is concerned.