Dual Ethernet Setup

chriskmee

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if what i want is possible, here it is:

I have charter internet in my college and my roommate has the standard internet provided by the school (resnet). The school has a 5GB/week limit on downloading + uploading stuff, but local traffic with other people on the school network is free.

What i would like to do is set up my dual Ethernet like this: one connected to my charter that will get internet and LAN. The second one connected to my roommates router that will just get local only so not to contribute to his limit. This way i have access to the many servers on the network while also having the speed of Charter. Is this possible?

paulcheung

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if what i want is possible, here it is:

I have charter internet in my college and my roommate has the standard internet provided by the school (resnet). The school has a 5GB/week limit on downloading + uploading stuff, but local traffic with other people on the school network is free.

What i would like to do is set up my dual Ethernet like this: one connected to my charter that will get internet and LAN. The second one connected to my roommates router that will just get local only so not to contribute to his limit. This way i have access to the many servers on the network while also having the speed of Charter. Is this possible?

I don't know if you can connect to two internet router the same time. but I have two Ethernet cards on my computer. one use for internet connection and the other use for novell network. Hope someone with experience come in to tell you if you can do that.
Best regards.
Paul.

Geoff

VIP Member
As far as I know if it's possible, you would need some additional software. You can't tell the computer to use one NIC for local traffic, and one NIC for internet traffic, at least not without additional software.

driverdj2000

it is possible but could be very tricky.
i read a letter in pc format magazine where someone wanted to run 2 isp's through one router.the expert basically said its much more trouble than its worth