dual gtx480 not 460's.

tech savvy

from-The Inquirer
Asus builds a dual GPU Nvidia GTX480 graphics card.

THE CURRENT HOT FAVOURITE from Nvidia, the GTX480 is going to get bunged into a dual Fermi GPU graphics card by Asus.
We reported back in April that Nvidia acknowledged users' and reviewers' concerns about how hot the GTX480 runs.Asus doesn't want to heed users' worries that it'll blow their PCs up and is building a dual-GPU GTX480 card. Asus sent pics of its Mars 2 graphics card to Legit Reviews.The photos of the reference card show a close-up of two Fermi-based GTX480s sitting on the left and right. One of the images also shows a big bank of power phases and three 8-pin connectors.Unfortunately there's no accompanying text from Asus so you won't get to read about how it plans to cool the thing or whether it's going to include a dedicated PSU to power it. http://forums.legitreviews.com/about28792.html

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow going by those pics,(If theyre legit)...its going to be a power hungry beast aswell....needing from what i can make out,3x 4Pin Pci-e Power cables :eek:

With the ever demanding power requirements of hardware these days,some of us are going to need to get seconds jobs just to be able to run the things :D

tech savvy

a single gtx480 (res:1280x1024) power consumption is 320w, SLI 624w. So im thinking the dual gtx480 will be around 500-600w which aint bad considering that any new GPU in SLI will pull around that anyway.the part im worried about is the heat issue.

Gabe63

a single gtx480 (res:1280x1024) power consumption is 320w, SLI 624w. So im thinking the dual gtx480 will be around 500-600w which aint bad considering that any new GPU in SLI will pull around that anyway.the part im worried about is the heat issue.

I am worried about the heat on a singe 480! Heck, I returned my 470 due to heat and nvidia people think this card runs cool.

tech savvy

I am worried about the heat on a singe 480! Heck, I returned my 470 due to heat and nvidia people think this card runs cool.

the gtx470 idle/load temps are 50/96(not OC), and the gtx480 idle/load temps are 57/97(not OC) thats with no other heat interfering.mid/high end cards needs good room and air flow, preferably a full size case with plenty intake/outtake fans.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
the gtx470 idle/load temps are 50/96(not OC), and the gtx480 idle/load temps are 57/97(not OC) thats with no other heat interfering.mid/high end cards needs good room and air flow, preferably a full size case with plenty intake/outtake fans.

You can't generalise like that. There are so many factors: what heatsink is on the card (bare in mind not all have reference ;))internal case temps, airflow, ambient tamps outside, the chip itself as some run hotter than others...

As to the card itself, no, it wouldn't need a dedicated GPU, you can run 2 GTX480's SLId on a single, decent high wattage PSU, but would it be worth it? Deffinately not. It serves no purpose. Cheaper, less powerful cards would perform as well in every application that a normal consumer would do (gaming comes to mind), only those benching, rendering or other GPU intensive tasks would get anything from it, but then the price of the card itself, then the other parts needed to run it because it is such an ill designed chip...it sort of loses purpose. It is more Asus saying "look what we can do!!" than doing it for any use.

Give me a 5970 any day

tech savvy

You can't generalise like that. There are so many factors: what heatsink is on the card (bare in mind not all have reference ;))internal case temps, airflow, ambient tamps outside, the chip itself as some run hotter than others...

As to the card itself, no, it wouldn't need a dedicated GPU, you can run 2 GTX480's SLId on a single, decent high wattage PSU, but would it be worth it? Deffinately not. It serves no purpose. Cheaper, less powerful cards would perform as well in every application that a normal consumer would do (gaming comes to mind), only those benching, rendering or other GPU intensive tasks would get anything from it, but then the price of the card itself, then the other parts needed to run it because it is such an ill designed chip...it sort of loses purpose. It is more Asus saying "look what we can do!!" than doing it for any use.

Give me a 5970 any day

i dont see how it would lose purpose, considering that the demand for performance goes up everyday.and of course its not for the normal poeple, same with the gtx480/5970 those are for the Enthusiast that demand performance, and im one of those people. considering that a single gtx480 meets/beats a 5970 in some benchmarks tell's me that a dual gtx480 would smash a 5970.give me a dual gtx480 anyday!

BurningSkyline

Imagine the heat.... they should make a variation with water cooling components.
Although, Seeing how well Dual GTX 460's run Im suprised they haven't made a dual GPU 460. Although, that might be kind of stupid.

lubo4444

i dont see how it would lose purpose, considering that the demand for performance goes up everyday.and of course its not for the normal poeple, same with the gtx480/5970 those are for the Enthusiast that demand performance, and im one of those people. considering that a single gtx480 meets/beats a 5970 in some benchmarks tell's me that a dual gtx480 would smash a 5970.give me a dual gtx480 anyday!

Yeah the demand for performance does go up but still, with any of these cards you can probably run 1-2 years (maybe more) with no problems running the latest games maxed out (with a good PC setup though). So i think there is no point of having two of them. But yeah, like you said, if you are some crazy enthusiast for performance, then go for it.

Aastii

VIP Member

but see now this is where the narrow mindedness of "it is faster so therefore no matter what, better". Never mind the fact that the 480s chuck out crap loads of heat, need their own power plant to run and have a low % of working chips per wafer.

The reason that people argue the 460 is possibly the best fermi card so far, even though it isn't the fastest, is because it fixed these problems of heat and power, yet was very affordable and the performance was still very very good for the price. I am all one for getting performance and pushing the boundaries to get the best, if I wasn't I wouldn't care about computers and would say stop now, we don't need extra performance, we do need extra performance to do more in the future, but I'm also not a stupid person. I've got a 5770, it can run any game at all on full settings at the resolution I play on and doesn't skip a beat. I wouldn't get a 5850 "because it is faster" because I wouldn't see the gain except for a few numbers on a benchmark (that is from experience using an identical system to mine which had a 5850 in it rather than 5770). I've saved money over getting a 5850 for instance, and when the AMD 6000 series come out, or the newer, improved fermi cards, I will again be able to go for middle of the road, get the performance that I need without going "but my rig has better results than yours in a benchmark (even though real world usage is identical)".

If that is what you want a system for, lovely, but dual 480s are useless to anyone and everyone in the real world, in the same way that an Intel 980x is. You would get one for bragging rights or if you go and get slightly aroused in a creepy, nerdy way over numbers on your screen, but for no other reason

Last edited: