Dual layer and double sided dvd+r discs

fox64

Do "dual layer" and "double sided" dvd+r discs last as long as regular discs?
Are "dual layer" and "double sided" dvd+r discs good for long term storage?

P.S.
plus I think they even have discs that are both dual layer and double sided , thats 16 gb per disk, 8 gb per side!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Any DVD disks are not good for long term storage. Disks can go unreadable at any time if not handled correctly. How long are you talking about for long term storage?

fox64

What is the best (non internet) way to archive files/data long term?

I was thinking dvdr discs should last at least 10+ years.
For "archiving", stowing data dvd discs away in envelopes or jewel cases for long term,
Only to be opened up if something bad happens to the hard drive and all flash drives.
The data dvdr discs would not be taken out of their envelopes for day to day access.

For day to day access I have the files on a hard drive and flash drives.

I thought dvdr discs were good for archiving because once stored away they last a long time and
cant crash like a hard drive and cant get corrupted like flash memory.

I figure that the vulnerability of dvdr discs mostly come from day to day handling,not from storage.
So if stored away in a envelope or jewel case they should last indefinitely.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disks can go unreadable at any time if not handled correctly.

Yeah, it basically all goes back to my quote there. If you just keep the cd in storage and don't actually keep accessing it then it will last for years but if its something you have to access a few times a month, it won't last as long. Years ago, people would create the cd/dvd and store it in a safe deposit box or somewhere secure in case a fire at home or something.

fox64

O yeah, I forgot about my original question.

If I may reiterate.

Do "dual layer" and "double sided" dvd+r discs have the same longevity as regular dvd r discs?

Are they at least as durable as regular dvd r discs?

Are they good for arciving data?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All depends on how you handle them. I wouldn't use the double sided disks. I would think the dual layers would come in handy more than the double sided.