Dual Monitor with a VGA splitter

Whoops

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=81642ab19cb90a1a3c14051932518cbaen02

I have an employee that thinks that this will enable us to extend the desktop of a computer ie. Use dual monitors with different images on both screens working as a dual monitor setup.

However my impression was that a VGA splitter would only duplicate the VGA output (i.e. duplicate the same output onto two monitors)

He seems to think otherwise and he is more knowledgeable with computers than I am.

Who's right? Will the above item allow him to extend his desktop or will it only duplicate his VGA output?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Whoops

I think that is will just display the same image on the both screens. The Same.

That's what I thought, but he's fairly insistent that it won't. He's all "I know computers and I'm a programmer....", it made me doubt whether I was right.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can't extend with a splitter. Splitters only clone. You need a dual-port video card in order to use an extended desktop.

Programmers don't know jack about computers. Go find a Computer Science major and ask them to repair a computer. They won't be able to.

blazin8556

there is a video card that has a different interface, the cord spits into two vga ports. ive had bad luck with them tho

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
there is a video card that has a different interface, the cord spits into two vga ports. ive had bad luck with them tho

Okay tell that to every other person who uses a multi-port card. Your card was just bad.

Guitaristic

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=81642ab19cb90a1a3c14051932518cbaen02

I have an employee that thinks that this will enable us to extend the desktop of a computer ie. Use dual monitors with different images on both screens working as a dual monitor setup.

However my impression was that a VGA splitter would only duplicate the VGA output (i.e. duplicate the same output onto two monitors)

He seems to think otherwise and he is more knowledgeable with computers than I am.

Who's right? Will the above item allow him to extend his desktop or will it only duplicate his VGA output?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I think that is will just display the same image on the both screens. The Same.

Yeah you definitely won't be able to use that cord, like MrZ said. One port can't give you two different screens. That cord can only clone a screen.