dual pci-x ?

cbr900son

If you could run dual pci-x what cars would u choose (money not being a issue). The reason I ask is cause I won a large poker tournament and want to build my ultimate gaming machine in the next few months. Someone suggested dual 6800 ultras but are there any better?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Your best best for now is probably the dual 6800Ultras ... although over the next few months that will prolly become dual 6900Ultras :)

cbr900son

hmm like how many months? i can wait maybe 3 mnths also do you think there will be serious heat issues with 2 VGs so close together. A friend has a nice cpu and VG water cooler setup and trying to talk me into it. Gonna be runing a fx-55 unless somethign amd puts out in the next few mnths blows it away

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Nobody can answer that kinda question for obvious reasons. Just look at the R423s ... they werent due for another month but here we are hearing about them now

2. As for heat issues, it depends on the rest of the setup as well as which 6800U you get

3. In reference to the watercooling setup, make sure you have room to install dual blocks into the SLI setup (dont forget that bridge thingy)

cbr900son

well I guess ill get the video cards last rest is pretty much ordered - psu, cpu, ram, HD, and other odds and ends just need to pick a case and wait for it all to come in and decide which card or cards for graphics.

edit also have to find someplace to order the new asus dual pci amd mobo from : /

cbr900son

yeah thats what it looks like. Soemone was trying to tell me that the asus sli mobo when running dual graphic cards runs each at 8x instead of 2 at 16x is that true?

cbr900son

But wouldnt dual pci at x8 be better then agpx8. I have a 9800 pro right now and not a bad card just wanna go all out and see what kind of comp i can build.

ak_hitman_47

Well from my understanding of running two graphics cards isn't as good as it sounds. This is how I interpret the upgrade/performance of 2 graphics cards.
1st off I was also thinking about doing this and as soon as I asked this guy he said there are some common problems with doing this. Lets say you want to go ahead and do this and you get two 6800's. Well only one of those cards will reach its full potential and the other one will do only half of what the other one is doing. Another thing is that when you play games the will often "clash" between eachother because most games don't support 2 graphic cards. I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad idea I'm just trying to tell you to look into it more because it would totally suck for you to spend well over 1,000 bucks and find out that your not satisfied... Good Luck and I hope this helped.

Lax

VIP Member
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with hitman. They had the same problem a while back with dual GPU cards. They tried running GFx cards with 2 GPU's and it turned out that like Hitman said, 1 had to do half what the other was to compensate for the other doing 100%. If anything grab an X800 or just wait a few months (IMO 512Mb cards will soon be the best, not 256.)

P.S. VooDoo also tried SLI for a bit, turned out they didn't have the tech at the time to get it to work the best it could.

cbr900son

lol so lost now - praetor what would u do I know my system down to the psu but havnt figured out video cards yet : /

Amd fx-55
asus a8n-sli mobo
1 gig ddr (not 100% sure on speed)
500w modular psu

also no budget limits just want top of the line gaming comp with very very good graphics

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But wouldnt dual pci at x8 be better then agpx8.
Only because its two cards vs one. The interface means jack all.

Well only one of those cards will reach its full potential and the other one will do only half of what the other one is doing. Another thing is that when you play games the will often "clash" between eachother because most games don't support 2 graphic cards
That was a minor issue under 3dfx SLI but not anymore. Driver integration is much tighter now. Also, the SLI is done at the driver level rather than the game level

lol so lost now - praetor what would u do I know my system down to the psu but havnt figured out video cards yet : /
Not many options to choose man. Pick the video platform (6600GT, 6800GT, 6800U all PCI-Express) and then pick the number of cards you'd like. If budget's not an issue, grab the dual ASUS V9999Ultra Deluxes