Dual Power Supply!!

don_emilio

Hello Guys,
Just a quick question!

- Does anyone here know if it is possible to install Two PSU's on the same PC? Please explain :D

Reason behind this is to remove some pressure of the current PSU. I am running Five 200 GB SATA HDD's, Three DVD/WR Drives, Single floppy drive, Seven PCI slots and One AGP slot are fully used. No more space for expansion anyway :D

My current PSU is rated 400 WATTs

CheeRx

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It should be quite possible... I don't know exactly what wires cause the power supply to come on, but if you short some, the PSU will power up. Just rig a switch up and have it where you power one PSU up(say for the drives) then the main one for your machine.

Tell me if you get working. I've been wanting to try something like this just never taken the time to do so ;P

don_emilio

- Thanx for the quick reply mate.
- I only want to use it for the Five HDDs.
- The wiring is easy. I just wasn't sure if something like this was actually possible.

Anyone who has already tried it?? Some input would be appreciated.

thanx again :)

don_emilio

dragon2309 said:
the most simple article i could find for you, by the way, this was like the second result on a google search for "dual power supplies", try searching next time.

http://www.pc-mod.com/articles/atx/

Thanx bud, very interesting and valuable article. I would rather post this issue on a forum than searching. So we could all share our experiences and learn from each other!

CHeers :)

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
Obviously you will want both PSUs to turn on when you hit the power button, and dragon's article describes briefly how to accomplish this. Are you sure that you want to do this though? I've run more than that off one (high quality) PSU, without any trouble. Your power requirements will also depend heavily on your CPU & VC, though.

fade2green514

id just buy a new psu... like a 680watt aspire. that would barely stress under those specs, depending on which video card and which cpu... and such....

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
fade2green514 said:
id just buy a new psu... like a 680watt aspire. that would barely stress under those specs, depending on which video card and which cpu... and such....
you should know better by know,w attage means nothing, it could be 1000w but still only have 15A on the 12v rail...

helmie

If you wanted real power, get one of the 1000W Pc power & Cooling supplies. 66A 12v i think, miine only has 55A :(

EDIT: joelkyr, happy birthday! :D

Last edited:

philip_r5

Well I bought a new power supply. Echostar 680w. I then had the old one and just wanted to help the new one. I have 2 hdds, 5fans, 1 big cpu fan, two opital drives, tons of led's, so I want to take a lil load of the new one. Thanks for the replys guys. I also overclock and thats goin to pull a lil more 12v. The echo has 22a on 12v and the antec has i think 21a on the 12v.

Last edited: