Dual: Vista 32 & Vista 64

malikah

Hi, I just installed 2 operating systems on 2 partitions on the same hard drive: Vista32-bit and Vista64-bit. Vista32 requires my password to log on. But while I was using Vista64, I was able to access Vista32 and change a filename without having to enter a password. Although I was prompted to provide administrator permission by clicking "continue", I find this to be rather weak in terms of security. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks.

malikah

why dont you put a code in for 64bit vista so then you are protected both ways?

So if I password protect Vista64 then Vista32 will be protected? I'm not too sure about that. I will be protecting Vista64, but I don't think that's the solution to my problem.

funkysnair

VIP Member
it depends-do you want poeple to use your computer at all?

if you do then what i suggested wont help-but if you want no one to use your computer at all just password both versions then you cant log on to 64bit and access the 32bit files

malikah

it depends-do you want poeple to use your computer at all?

if you do then what i suggested wont help-but if you want no one to use your computer at all just password both versions then you cant log on to 64bit and access the 32bit files

Ok, I see your point. But my concern is something happening while I'm on the 64 and affecting the 32. I'm not too worried what happens to the 64 but all my important data is on 32. I'm just looking for extra protection for the 32. Like not being able to access the other partition at all.

Geoff

VIP Member
Only the Users folder is protected from access IIRC, if your logged on as an administrator under the other OS, then I believe that may gain you permission.

malikah

[-0MEGA-];1032965 said:
Only the Users folder is protected from access IIRC, if your logged on as an administrator under the other OS, then I believe that may gain you permission.

So if I create another (non-administrator) user accuount in Vista64 then the Vista32 files will be safe?

Geoff

VIP Member
So if I create another (non-administrator) user accuount in Vista64 then the Vista32 files will be safe?
It depends where the files are stored. Anyone can access say the program files folder, or anything on the drive except for the Users folder (generally). I believe Vista has a feature that will encrypt all the data on the drive though.

jdbennet

the simple answer is that if you want security, you need to use an encrypted filesystem like bitlocker , as anyone with a recent linux livecd can access NTFS partitions and totally ignore permissions on them

concorde

Why have two Windows OSes of the same versions, but different bit? Why have one OS of the same version for games, and one for files? I can see if you were conducting an experiment of which bit version of Windows does better on a certain configuration, but otherwise, you've wasted money. I'm confused. You are interesting!

The simplest way to protect yourself is to just get rid of the other OS that you don't really need after getting your files onto a flash drive. Keeping 64bit would be anyone's recommendation. I'm saying it's simple anyhow because you will have to be doing restarts every time you want to do something different.

Use what space Vista32 has occupied for Linux :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Why have two Windows OSes of the same versions, but different bit? Why have one OS of the same version for games, and one for files? I can see if you were conducting an experiment of which bit version of Windows does better on a certain configuration, but otherwise, you've wasted money. I'm confused. You are interesting!

The simplest way to protect yourself is to just get rid of the other OS that you don't really need after getting your files onto a flash drive. Keeping 64bit would be anyone's recommendation. I'm saying it's simple anyhow because you will have to be doing restarts every time you want to do something different.

Use what space Vista32 has occupied for Linux :)
He answered that in another thread, it's because he wants the 64 bit OS for games, and he uses the 32 bit OS for the few apps that aren't supported by the 64 bit version.