dumb hard drive question

BruceY

new hard drive going into case/ har drive holder. Now dumb question, metal side up or can it go down? heat dissapation issue? Holes wont line up, will have to drill new if it matters which way

gnome666

hard drive question

Hello, I had just installed a new hard drive too and I asked a technician if it mattered if it was upside down or not and he told me it didnt make a difference

StrangleHold

Staff member
You can mount them right side up (which is the prefered way), upside down, sideways, hell you can hang it by a rope beside the stack if you want to (not the prefered way). As long as it gets alittle air flow so it wont run hot.

fmw

In my experience they have a somewhat longer life if they are installed bottom (circuit board) down and top (metal case) up. Not a big deal since drives last quite a while but a noticeable difference over many years and many computers.

viper110110

I made a custom case out of wood in which I had the hard drive hanging sideways from a metal strip across the top. If you shake the case, the HD will click against the PSU

BruceY

Out of wood, wow that sounds like it could be cool. I'm into woodworking and cabinet making. Any way of posting or sending some pictures of the case?