DVD as a CD

SFR

Truth fears no questions
93rps13 said:
what about as data?

If you are asking whether or not a DVD can store data files , umm… yes. Based on the size of the media (dvd disk) you can save as much data files as can fit on that disk.... but you can't access it from a cd drive.

As for the original question: Are you talking about a CD drive or a CD player... like the kind in a car or a portable cd player??

A DVD drive can read DVD and CD disks. A CD DRIVE cannot read DVD's.

As for a standard portable CD player, they can read CD's not DVD’s and many of them cannot read CD-RW, but most can read CD-R ...and some cd players - especially older cd players - cannot read MP3's stored on the CD media.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well… I have never heard of a CD player playing data files... ....
Well by technicality an MP3CD......... also you can have karaoke cds and CD+G and all them obscure 'colored-book' specifications :) (it still wont read DVDs tho )

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
Well by technicality an MP3CD......... also you can have karaoke cds and CD+G and all them obscure 'colored-book' specifications :) (it still wont read DVDs tho )
yeah I just edited my post like crazy... I am a little perplexed as to what he meant by: "what about as data?"

CD Drive or CD Player....

in either case a dvd wont work... but a data cd wont work in a cd player...

the faceplate in my car was very expensive.. but it still wont let me edit my word and excel docs...

... I think I am reading too much into it....

edit.. once again:

I understand an MP3CD has data on it. But when you create an MP3CD it isnt as a data CD it is still as a music cd (or whatever your cd burning program calls it)

Last edited: