DVD burner burns in 98 not XP?

deimos69

I have a NEC DVD burner (ND-1300a) and I have installed it on 3 different machines with various flavors of XP. XP home, pro, illegitatament, and legal but I still can't get the burner to burn in XP. SP1 and from a fresh install with absolutely NO updates it still won't burn. But it does play DVDs.

I tried it in a friends machine with 98SEa with the same drive and same blank disk. I used roxio and nero on it and it burned NO PROBLEM!

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I check NEC's website but they only have a PDF but it doesn't mention anything about troubleshooting errors or problems with this drive?

Any clue? I could return it and buy a different drive but I want to make sure what the problem is as I don't want to exchange this drive for say a LG or Pioneer to have the same recurring problem.

Thanks for any help that you might have on this :) !!!

Bobo

banned
deimos69 said:
I have a NEC DVD burner (ND-1300a) and I have installed it on 3 different machines with various flavors of XP. XP home, pro, illegitatament, and legal but I still can't get the burner to burn in XP. SP1 and from a fresh install with absolutely NO updates it still won't burn. But it does play DVDs.

I tried it in a friends machine with 98SEa with the same drive and same blank disk. I used roxio and nero on it and it burned NO PROBLEM!

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I check NEC's website but they only have a PDF but it doesn't mention anything about troubleshooting errors or problems with this drive?

Any clue? I could return it and buy a different drive but I want to make sure what the problem is as I don't want to exchange this drive for say a LG or Pioneer to have the same recurring problem.

Thanks for any help that you might have on this :) !!!

Does it have any drivers that you didn't install???

red onion

You probably know this already, but XP will not burn DVDs without software, such as Nero or Roxio. You said you used Nero on 98, did you try Nero on XP, or just the burning wizard?

red onion

Windows XP doesn't contain built-in support for burning DVDs. However, Microsoft plans on including built-in support for DVD write capability in the next version of Windows. For a look at the issues involved in planning and developing which DVD technologies to support, read the Windows Platform Development article, DVD Writing Support and Windows.
From microsoft.com

deimos69

red onion said:
You probably know this already, but XP will not burn DVDs without software, such as Nero or Roxio. You said you used Nero on 98, did you try Nero on XP, or just the burning wizard?

I used Nero on one XP box and Roxio on the other XP box. They both come up with errors. I haven't tried the wizard as of yet but I can forsee there will also be an error.

red onion

Go in my computer, right-click the drive in question, select properties, Recording and see that there is a check in the "Enable recording box".

deimos69

red onion said:
Go in my computer, right-click the drive in question, select properties, Recording and see that there is a check in the "Enable recording box".

It's checked off as enabled

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How do I check to see if it is enabled?

ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm . IMPORTANT: when checking the version numbers, all four the version numbers have to match identically otherwise the ASPI is not installed correctly/completely regardless of whatever the checker says (this is especially true for Nero's InfoTools which only checks for the presence of the files rather than matching version numbers). If the above link didn't help, pay a visit to http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI for a step-by-step guide on getting it to work.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL that makes no sense considering the 1300 came out after XP was developed ... and compatability (if looking at a technical perspective) is provided via drivers (otherwise we wouldnt need drivers)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
99.9% of IDE Optical drives (i.e., ive never come across a counterexample) need custom drivers for base functionality :) (they usually just use the ATAPI-WDC drivers then).