DVD burner won'r burn at 8x but only at 2.4x

B-MAN

Hey ehm i've been having this problem with my burner. It won't burn at 8x anymore. Could it be because it been used alot?
It hasn't been used really much... like 70 dvd's or so max.
It was connected with a 40 vein connector but now i've got it on a 80 vein connector but it's still 2.4x :/. It's secondary Master right now.

Any Idea's?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
the speed rating of the dvd's wont make it burn slower, you can burn a 32x cd-rom at 52x if you wanted to, its just not guaranteed to do it properly.
i would take a look in your bios and go to the IDE options and make sure that DMA or UDMA is enabled and also bus mastering if thats in there. also, go into your hardware manager in windows and look for your IDE controller (or something similar) and make sure that the highest UDMA mode is set.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My dad had some problems like that before... He has an older 4x drive and it would only burn some disks at 2.4x. Then I try one and it burns at 8x... Not really sure what to say about that...donno if it's a driver/software issure or what

B-MAN

I checked the dma stuff. My dvd writer is on UDMA 2 Ultra33 and my Hdd is on another channel on UDMA 5 Ultra100 (i tought it should be ultra133 :S).

Kanduu

Some DVD's, regardless of what they say on the front, will only write at 2.4.
This is a generic fault with cheaper DVD disks. Try buying a quility brand. or running NERO's SPEED-CHECK, or something similar.

B-MAN

yeah thats why i use platinums... they never failed me.. nor anyone i know.
If i try stuff like princo or something 90% fails... i guess my drive is getting old :S

bigdogz4u2

Kanduu said:
Some DVD's, regardless of what they say on the front, will only write at 2.4.
This is a generic fault with cheaper DVD disks. Try buying a quility brand. or running NERO's SPEED-CHECK, or something similar.

That's not True...99.9% of the time DVDs are what it says, regardless of the brand.

B-MAN said:
yeah thats why i use platinums... they never failed me.. nor anyone i know.
If i try stuff like princo or something 90% fails... i guess my drive is getting old :S

There is nothing wrong with your DVD burner, Its the settings in the windows that made your burner slow. Its not reading your burner as it should be.
There is a setting in the windows that may have changed automatically. so now Its basically not recognizing you DVD burner as a DVD-Burner.

I'm at work right now.. I've the details at home, once I get home I'll try to get the details and reply...It'll probably later on tonight....

bigdogz4u2

B-MAN said:
Wow you work really long ;P
But eh if you still know those setings plz let me know

Damn,, Sorry man I forgot... I'm in the process of looking up that information right now.. Will post ASAP...:D

bigdogz4u2

OK, do the following steps and let me know what you see(Do not change anything as of yet)

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • The Control Panel window appears.
  • Click the System icon.

NOTE: If the System icon is not displayed, click Switch to Classic View in the left pane of the Control Panel window.

• The System Properties window appears.
  • Click the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager.
  • The Device Manager window appears.
  • Click the plus (+) sign next to IDE/ATAPI controllers.
  • Double-click Primary IDE Channel.
  • Click the Advanced Settings tab.
  • Now tell me what do you see in "Device Type" and "Transfer Mode" fields?

B-MAN

atacontroller.jpg

bigdogz4u2

What does your Primary Channel Tab Says..?
Also Give me the Make/Model of your DVD durner..

Last edited:

bigdogz4u2

B-MAN said:

Uncheck where its says "let the Bios set the Transfer Mode" and the under the drop down of Tranfer Mode.. What option Do you have..?
It should be

DMA if available
PIO Only...
or you may have more options..

let me know.. and if you can give me the screen shot for the drop down..

Also: what is under your Serial ATA controller?
One should be for your NEC Burner, if I;m correct,,right?

Last edited:

bigdogz4u2

Ok since it on ultra DMA2 - Ultra33, then slect that and hit OK and restart your computer. Then Try to Burn a DVD and see what is the burning speed.

Also Make sure that DMA Channel is enable in your BIOS..

Let me know how you make out, if incase that doesn't work then we'll look for other solution...

Good Luck...:)

B-MAN

Wel i only removed the BIOS selects check and rebooted and windows wouldn't load anymore... so i reinstalled.. didn't have time to check the speed yet.

Im going to bed now so i'll post tomorrow maybe.

BIOS has everything enabled concerning the ata controller