dvd burner won't read blank disks

spartan109

k i have a dvd burner and one day it just wont read blank cd-r's or dvd-r's. so i went out and bought a new pioneer dual layer burner(only 50 dollars cdn for a dl on sale:) ) and it has the same problem. help?:confused: :mad:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Are you just trying to do it though Windows Explorer/My Computer? I'm quite sure you need other software installed to burn disks. I think Sonic has some explorer addition that allows you to drag and drop as you would with any other type of disk.

If you need software, DeepBurner is some nice free software.

PC eye

banned
It sounds like you may have a bad cable rather then drive to look at. Try another cable to see this see results. Check the plugs there too.

StrangleHold

Staff member
k i have a dvd burner and one day it just wont read blank cd-r's or dvd-r's. so i went out and bought a new pioneer dual layer burner(only 50 dollars cdn for a dl on sale:) ) and it has the same problem. help?:confused: :mad:

What do you mean read a blank disk, if its blank theres nothing to read?

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you put the new drive in did you set the jumper right? What does it call the drive in My Computer or Device Manager

PC eye

banned
calls it drive I.....to solve this problem i think i need to reinstall windos

Reinstalling Windows would be a total waste of time if the cable is bad which sounds likely since you are seeing this on a second drive. Have you tried replacing the cable itself and checked to see what jumper setting the drive is set to?

SirKenin

banned
Have you tried it with both CD-Rs and DVD-Rs? Do neither one work? Before wasting your time with the cables see if it's both that are causing the problem.

PC eye

banned
Have you tried different brands of blank media? Sometimes the dvd burners won't read blank cd-rs while still reading the Windows or another software installation disk. This can happen with blank dvd-rs as well.

SirKenin

banned
well its mostly cd-r's and the dvd-r's are random

This reminds me of a computer I fixed about 7 years ago. For all appearances the CD drive was dead. It wouldn't do anything. The guy brought it in for me to replace it.

To make a long story short it turned out to be the operating system that was faulty. Try uninstalling the device from the Device Manager, reinstalling it and updating the drivers. It sounds far fetched, I know, but you never know.

PC eye

banned
Another thought to consider is a need to clean the lazer lens itself. Have you even run a lens cleaner? If that gets blurred the drive will fail to read any disk at times.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This reminds me of a computer I fixed about 7 years ago. For all appearances the CD drive was dead. It wouldn't do anything. The guy brought it in for me to replace it.

To make a long story short it turned out to be the operating system that was faulty. Try uninstalling the device from the Device Manager, reinstalling it and updating the drivers. It sounds far fetched, I know, but you never know.

Could be, I have had that happen several times!

ETSA

There are multiple types of blank DVD's, DVD-R, DVD+R, etc... If your drive can't read one or burn one or you have a wrong disc, it may not read it and definetly won't burn it. Maybe you bought Dual Layer DVDR's, or maybe you need them, you need an entirely seperate burner for those btw. They hold twice as much as a normal blank dvd.

PC eye

banned
Well if it's not a bad cable, wrong media, blurred lens, or a Windows setting needed the drive itself may be a reject. If you can return it for an exchange try another one or different brand even.