DVD burning problem

SirKenin

banned
I can't seem to figure this one out, or I'm looking in the wrong directions.

A client brought me a computer that burns DVDs really slow. It takes 45 minutes to burn a DVD with a 16x DVD burner, no matter what media you put in it (I've tried several different ones). It usually detects them at either 4x or 8x media, even if they are 16x.

Anyways, he had the exact same problem with his old burner, and the reason why he bought this one.

He is using Nero 7 ultra. I have updated the motherboard drivers, disabled the protections, stopped a couple of unneccessary tasks from running. That sped up the computer as a whole, but this piece of crap still takes forever to burn a disk.

It just started doing it out of the blue. I can't think straight anymore because I am tired and I was busting my ass on other computers. Can anyone think of a logical explanation why this thing might be doing this?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
1. Latest Nero update, if any?
2. Burner firmware update?
3. Burner device driver update/reinstall?
4. Tried other burning software like Roxio or DeepBurner?
I've read that Nero 7 is full o' bugs; 'tis why I specifically searched out Nero 6.
Just my two cents.
Tom

SirKenin

banned
It *is* running in PIO mode, and the drives, both virtually new, are at UDMA2. I know that's not right, and that's why I updated the drivers, but no joy. I can't get into the BIOS because bloody MDG password protected it like the idiots that they are.

I am trying to figure out why it is in PIO mode, even though it is set to auto. You probably know why? It's an 845 chipset. An Intel mobo. Celeron processor.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is it the only drive on the IDE? If not unhook the other one and set the burner as master, it might already be, but just boot with the burner only and see if it will run in udma then

SirKenin

banned
Well son of a bitch. That was it. lol. I haven't tested it yet, but it's in UDMA2 mode so I would imagine it works. Eggsellent. Thank you.

SirKenin

banned
Yup, that did it. Funny thing is, he called me from work to see if he could pick up his computer today. When I was telling him what the problem was I found out that he conveniently forgot to tell me that it happened when he added a second harddrive. Aaargh. I should have asked if he had done anything to the computer when he started having problems. I always do, except this once... And that cost me a lot of wasted time. D'oh!!

SirKenin

banned
I forgot to mention.. Not only did he have the DVDRW slaved to the main drive, he was also using 40 wire cables. Change it to an 80 and voila, UDMA5.. But the good thing is he's giving me $40 more than I quoted plus a treat. And he's referred other people at work to me... Great guy.

SirKenin

banned
Yeah it worked out great. It was frustrating as hell though. I appreciate your help. I wonder if he'll notice that dent in the case? :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yea I had a dude bring me his computer today and a sata harddrive, one somebody had gave him and his windows cd, wanted a clean install, well it turned out to be a old 462 board with no SATA:rolleyes: . Long story short I ended selling him the last 754 system I had for a pretty good profit!

SirKenin

banned
rofl. That rocks. Especially when a controller would have done the trick just tickety-boo. :p

I don't really get a kick out of selling new parts though. I make so little out of them. The market is so competitive here and they are selling at +5%, it just doesn't make any sense to bother. People here are so cheap it's sickening.. But when I service a computer, I make $50 an hour. I mean, there's just no contest.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yea you gotta work your way into a nitch of people who like custom built computers, more word of mouth than anything

SirKenin

banned
The damn problem came back. I don't believe it. It just switched into PIO mode on it's own and now it takes 45 minutes to burn a disk again. What the hell? It's an LG GSE-H22L. I tried finding firmware for it, but noooooo. You hear mention of it on the web, but I couldn't find a place to download it. What a POS.

gurra92

I've got exactly the same problem. It takes about 40 minutes to burn a 16x DVD-disc. My burner is toghether with a HDD on the IDE. Which one should be master, and wich one should be slave?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The damn problem came back. I don't believe it. It just switched into PIO mode on it's own and now it takes 45 minutes to burn a disk again. What the hell? It's an LG GSE-H22L. I tried finding firmware for it, but noooooo. You hear mention of it on the web, but I couldn't find a place to download it. What a POS.

Run it as master on the IDE 2, had alot of burners if set to slave would just act plain weird running on IDE 1 with a harddrive!

SirKenin

banned
It is set to master on the 2nd channel already, with nothing else on it. It was fine, then it just stopped on it's own. I put his old one back in and it seems to be working fine. It doesn't make any sense.