Dvd drive shows up in bios but not in my computer

armysgt1

A few day days ago I reinstalled windows 7 because I got a new motherboard. My dvd drive has been working fine up until now. It shows up in my bios and in device manager in Windows, but I can't get it to show up in my computer and use the damn thing. I have no idea what could have caused this. It says the device can not start because of an I/0 error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

StrangleHold

Staff member
First try going in device manager, right click on it, click uninstall and reboot and let it reinstall the drivers. If its a IDE drive, you dont have two drives on the same cable with the jumpers set wrong?

armysgt1

OK, just tried that, for some reason it's showing up as an scsi disk device in device manager. This can't be right because it's always shown up as a cd-rom device. And yeah, this is the only drive on the IDE cable.

Ryan_Fpv

This happened to me after using Daemon tools. Still haven't figured out how to fix it, damn thing is useless. If you have any luck, let me know! :)

armysgt1

It's in disk management where I try and initialize it and it says it operation cannot be performed because of an I/O error.

armysgt1

Oh yeah, that may be the problem for me as well. I see now that did just install daemon tools lite and I recognized this problem shortly after. No idea how to fix this though.

armysgt1

I have read countless forums and tried so many things. Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall windows again. Yay!

armysgt1

Already tried it 3 or 4 times. Doesn't find the drive even though it's there in device manager and disk management. Thanks though.

armysgt1

No, it shows the disk and says not initialized. I right click on it and try to initialize it and it tells me there is an I/0 error every time.

armysgt1

There's no option to do that. When i right click on the available space where it says new simple volume,etc, they are all grayed out except for properties.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Missed where you said it was showing up as a scsi disk device. Try finding the IDE controller it is on in device manager, right click it and click uninstall and reboot.

armysgt1

For some reason it doesn't show is as a scsi device anymore, just "disk drive." I just looked through the entire device manager twice, IDE controller is nowhere to be found.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Should be listed as something like IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Edit
On the view tab in device manager check show hidden devices.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If only it was bigger I could actually see what it says.

Click on the device manager window, press alt and print screen button together, then go to mspaint and press ctrl-v at the same time. Save the pic as jpg.