DVD is not recognized

ladybug318

I have previously been able to play DVD's on this HP Pavillion Laptop. All of a sudden it stopped playing DVD's. I have since reinstalled windows xp and had to download new drivers to get the audio to work again but still can't play DVD's, but Audio Cd's will play and my Norton anti-virus cd will run and show graphics. When I insert a DVD, the computer doesn't even recognize it. I am not sure what I need to do or even how to do it. I am not savvy in computer lingo and need step by step, detailed, like i am a five year old instructions. I have tried a lot of things but nothing seems to work. One question for all you techies is this....If I was once able to play DVD's, shouldn't there be a simple solution to resolving this matter without buying any additional hardware, or could it have just stopped working where I would need to buy a new one, because as I said the drive will play audio cd's. I need someone out there with a good heart and patience to help me through this ordeal...

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely the laser/eye that reads dvd's is bad and you need to replace the drive. There are 2 separate lasers/eyes that read cd's. 1 for cd's and 1 for dvd's.