DVD R and CD RW gone!

marti866

Hi, Could anyone please tell me why, all of a sudden my DVD R and CD RW are not working and are missing within 'My Computer'.

Could anyone also tell me how to get these devises back in working order.

I'm running Windows XP home

This happened before but, again, all of a sudden came back.

The devises are not listed with the 'Devise Manager'

marti866

Everythings been ok for the last two years I've had the computer. It happened before but came back after doing nothing, this time both Dvd r and CD RW are suddenly not there.

Help help

Computer Man5

Hi. THis has happened to my laptop once, the drivers for the devices have gone corrupt...Have u played with the registry?. try doing add hardare wizard and see if it picks it up. If not get the drivers from the manufacturer and reinstall them.

Check the cables aslo...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Could anyone please tell me why, all of a sudden my DVD R and CD RW are not working and are missing within 'My Computer'.
A master slave conflict/collision

this time both Dvd r and CD RW are suddenly not there.
Have you tried something like just detecting them? :)

marti866

Yesterday they were there, today they not, this is totally confusing! I hav'nt opened up my computer because I hav'nt been inside my computer ever, so I carnt see it being a loose connection, It must be something other than this. I carnt seem to find the drivers for these devise either............. am useless I know.

I would appreciate if anyone could find the neccessary drivers

This is my DVD Rom - HLDS GDR-8161B DVD Drive
Name: GDR-8161B
Product: 16x DVD-ROM / 40x CD-ROM drive
Manufacturer: LG / HITACHI, HLDS group

This is my CD RW - CD-R/RW Drive Philips CDD6611 24X/12X/40X
Name: CDD 6611
Type: 24x CD-R/12xCD-RW Writer
Manufacturer: Philips

ZER0X

VIP Member
I hav'nt opened up my computer because I hav'nt been inside my computer ever, so I carnt see it being a loose connection, It must be something other than this

Umm you should seriously concider:
*Detecting it
*See if the cables inside you computer are attached properly

I think you should check out inside your computer.....even though you havn't :)

Ace1627

This is the simplest thing to do though it may sound complicated. Go to websites of the companies for your drives and download the drivers to your desktop. Go to the device manager and make sure there is nothing there that pertains to your cd drives, if there is uninstall them. Then restart the computer or run add hardware wizard. Xp should recognize them if you restart. Then during the wizard make sure you select "from a specific location" or something like that. That should solve your problem. It is very very very unlikely that something has come loose in your computer seeing how you have never been inside it and obviously didn't put the computer together yourself. Hope this helps.

ZER0X

VIP Member
It is very very very unlikely that something has come loose in your computer seeing how you have never been inside it and obviously didn't put the computer together yourself

It could be corroded with dust :confused:

Ace1627

Heh, have never herd of dust corroding anything in a computer unless you had maybe acid fumes circling around your house. He bought a commercial desktop. So I believe the manufactuer have though about this possibility.

ZER0X

VIP Member
well, my brothers old computer used to stuff up all the time, we looked inside his computer........DUST AND COBWEBS :eek: now thats Corrosion

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
DUST AND COBWEBS now thats Corrosion
Dust and cobwebs hardly qualify as corrosion :p

Seriously now you should try uninstall-reboot-reinstall .... usualyl irons out a lot of kinks :)

willempc

solved!

Ok, when you have the same problem:

open regedit ( start -> run )

go to key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

remove all Lowerfilter and Upperfilter values.

restart

Solved!