*DVD-R recorder for TV* but play back ability on Computer.

SuperRobotWar

This is going a little bit off topic, but it is definitely related to computer.

Anyway, my VCR at home is busted and I thought given DVD-R recorder for TV is getting a bit common; maybe it is time to buy it instead of another VCR.....

Anyway, I am trying to look for one that serve the following purpose and I need help on these question:

a) I was wondering if it is possible to have those recorder making a file format of AVI or MPG such that I can transfer it as a DVD later (OR possibily by USB as there are DVD recorder that comes with Hard drive and USB slot) back to computer to playback those file?

b) With that in mind, I would also want one that would serve as its main purpose as a TV program recorder as my parents still rely a lot on the VCR before it breaks down. In that case would anyone have any good suggestion what kinda DVD recorder I should be looking for in terms of budget or format?

I know this is a little bit off topic, but I do appreciate any help ahead.

Thanks.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
TV top DVD-Recorders typically all record in standard DVD formats so they may be played on other DVD players. There might be some around that do other formats(I have seen a few DIVX recorders) and/or that have USB/firewire to community with a PC, but you could simply do what I do... When I record something and want to edit it, I simply capture the video on a DVD-RW. I then pop it into my computer, edit out the commericals, then re-burn it to a DVD-R. Then format the RW and it's ready to go once again.

paratwa

I would get a DVR (digital video recorder) You can record onto a hard drive, select what you want to keep and burn it to a dvd all on the same machine. You can even edit out commercials on the same machine. If you subscribe to a service you can program your machine to record the shows you want automatically. Some even come with lan or usb ports so you can upload the programs to your PC.

SuperRobotWar

Actually let me rephrase the whole thing all over.

As many know that majority of the DVD player now support DivX format such that you can copy an AVI/MPG format video from the computer and be able to play it on the DVD player.

OK with that in mind, could it be done in the opposite way around such that I can record something from the DVD recorder and be able to read it on the computer as AVI/MPG format? EVEN if not, let say if it was to be recorded as a DVD, is there a way to change it back to AVI/MPG format (in addition, what will the quality be like?)

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Jacen_Solo762

The_Other_One has the right idea with the DVD-RW. What i do is record my program onto a DVD-RW and pop it into the computer and rip the recording using DVD Decrypter, then convert it into DivX format using AutoGK. You can now burn a data disc and play these files on DivX-enabled DVD player or just watch them on the computer as they are .avi files.
Depending on the size of the file and the video dimensions you choose to use with AutoGK, the quality of the video can be very high.
I do this with anime and it works extremely well, I can now fit a whole season of Avatar: the Last Airbender onto a single layer DVD-R that I can watch on my dvd player.

Hope this helps!:D