DVD Rom Drive adapter...

introibo

Awhile back, I picked up new DVD Rom drive from Newegg at some great price. Yesterday I went to install it as my current one was acting wonky. Well, the new one has the narrower slots for installation...SATA maybe? Whereas the plugs in my computer and my old DVD drive have the wider holes/plugs (not sure of name..IDE?)

So can someone point me to an adapter that would have one end to plug into the narrower slot on the new DVD drive, and the other end to plug into my old computer cable/ribbon looking thing?
Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Those adapters hardly ever work correctly. You are better off selling it and buy an IDE drive, if you can even find them anymore. Not sure if newegg still has them or not.

introibo

It's 4 or 5 years old...I wouldn't even know where to look for SATA ports...wouldn't an adapter be easier....as it is, I found an old CD rom drive which still works...will use that for now.

StrangleHold

Staff member
It's 4 or 5 years old...I wouldn't even know where to look for SATA ports...wouldn't an adapter be easier....as it is, I found an old CD rom drive which still works...will use that for now.

No, you would just need a sata cable.
Port, can be any color.
mbsataports.JPG

Cable.
021112_SATA-Data-Cable-22.jpg

Might need one of these if your power supply doesnt have SATA power cables.
power-sata-to-molex.jpg

Jamebonds1

4 to 5 years old? I'm pretty sure that your computer should have SATA port. It is not requirment to have same color in order to make it work. It will work as SATA I, II, or III.