DVD Writer / Blu-ray Drive ?

Dast

Sup y'all, I'd like a little help here. I have started receiving pieces from my upcoming build and I totally forgot that I need something to run discs with. I never used DVDs too much so I'm not into these things. From the research I've done online, I have found out about these two, DVD Writers and Blu-ray Drives. I have no idea which one is better. Don't mind any price, I'll pay up any amount of money as long as it's worth it.

In case it helps, my GPU is a Sapphire 7970 VaporX and my CPU is a i7 3930k. Also I'd appreciate if you could post links to related products in order to help me out. Thanks.

wbt50

Sup y'all, I'd like a little help here. I have started receiving pieces from my upcoming build and I totally forgot that I need something to run discs with. I never used DVDs too much so I'm not into these things. From the research I've done online, I have found out about these two, DVD Writers and Blu-ray Drives. I have no idea which one is better. Don't mind any price, I'll pay up any amount of money as long as it's worth it.

In case it helps, my GPU is a Sapphire 7970 VaporX and my CPU is a i7 3930k. Also I'd appreciate if you could post links to related products in order to help me out. Thanks.

Unless you plan on using Blu Ray discs, then there is no need for you to buy a Blu-Ray drive as there is no difference in the quality.Most DVD drives are now the same speed so you don't need to be paying more than £20. Unless you plan on using a DVD drive daily, may I suggest buying an external DVD drive, they are much easier since you can keep it away until you need to use it from time to time.

Geoff

VIP Member
Unless you plan on using Blu Ray discs, then there is no need for you to buy a Blu-Ray drive as there is no difference in the quality.Most DVD drives are now the same speed so you don't need to be paying more than £20. Unless you plan on using a DVD drive daily, may I suggest buying an external DVD drive, they are much easier since you can keep it away until you need to use it from time to time.
Just to clarify, there is a quality difference between Blu-Ray and DVD movies, but a DVD will look the same with either drive.

The Blu-Ray drive will let you burn much larger discs, if you wanted to have physical copies of your data.

wbt50

But the much larger discs are blu ray discs, not DVD's right ?
If he was only to use DVD and not blu ray, there wouldn't be any difference. That's what I meant.

Dast

Alright, thanks for the info. I'd love if you would point me towards a specific link with a product so I can order it easier :)

wbt50

Well, depends on your location and your preferred site to purchase. But you can't really go wrong with any DVD writer. Just make sure it is not a CD-Drive as those will not play dvd's.

Dast

Well, depends on your location and your preferred site to purchase. But you can't really go wrong with any DVD writer. Just make sure it is not a CD-Drive as those will not play dvd's.

Well, I'll get the piece from a random site within my country ... I guess I'll just browse through their stuff and pick one. Thanks for the help though :)