DVDRW problems

I just finished several DVD sessions from VCR to DVD family movies 25 years old and everything worked great last week.

Today I tried to save our 367 Yellowstone pictures from the I phone to PC worked, but the DVDRW doesn't see a black CD or a DVD any longer.

My mind is worn out

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check device manager to make sure there are no yellow question/exclamation points next to cd/dvd drives entry. If you go into computer, is there an icon for the dvd drive?

The message I keep getting is; There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a wrightable CD into drive D.

Ive tried a new CD, new CDRW, a new DVDRW.

I keep getting the same error message..

DVD movie works great also, it's when I try to write to the DVDRW the error says, Put in a writeable CD.

Also in the properties of the DVD drive the "Recording" is enabled.

I just noticed that every CD I put in the drive shows in the properties section shows the CD is all blue in color, meaning there is no room to record anything.
It's a new CD-R pack of 100 just opened I picked up at SAMSCLUB.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you try using a different brand? It's either the eye in the drive has gone bad for recording or your drive isn't compatible with the brand you bought.

I tried a Memorex CDRW that I've used several times and I know it works in another computer and it fails so the recording part of the drive must gone bad. This is my first DVDRW to fail.

I may have worn it out this year making dozens of DVDs from old VCR tapes that date back to Christmas 1988. It has served me well since I put the system together.

I'll pull the drive as soon as I order a new drive and install it next week. I'll take it apart later to see what I can do to it.

Thanks for the posts...

I found the problem with the DVDRW drive.

The drive is a LG Super-Multi DVD-RW, but it stopped the recording option.

I've been racking my brain, stepping back in time, going over what I did several years ago when I put this system together to do Video Editing.
I went to LG.com looking for another driver or replacement driver but there are none at the web site.

Today I spent the entire morning looking for a CD or DVD that might have came with the drive in the begining and I found it at the bottom of hundreds of old disks.

I reinstall the disk software and the DVD drive is once again a DVDRW drive, and I have alreadly sent several photo to the drive with sucess.

Just in case someone esle has a problem like mine, I hope this helps.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Normally you don't need a driver for dvd drive as windows has drivers for them built in. Probably would have worked if you would have uninstalled from device manager and rebooted and let windows reinstall it. But glad its working now.