DVR internet connection

sfdude3569

I really need help, my mom's boss owns a beer store, and wants to be able to view his security camera's from his house, and I hooked up his new computer, so he assumes I can do that =o. I got a basic understanding of how to go about it. My first question is do you have to get a Static IP Address?? Secondly, I know how to look up the IP Address, but how exactly am I suppose to use it to view the camera's over the internet?? If anybody could answer my questions or even send me a link to a website to read on it, it would be greatly appreciated.

brian

VIP Member
um, no you dont need a static ip address, you can have a dynamic you can get a dyndns.com account and that will update your ip on there system so it is like a static. next. speedtest.net or whatsmyip.net will give your ip address. from what i am reading i dont think it will be the easest thing to do. it all depends on your conf

Lectrician

PC anywehere? Ok if the cams are being recorded by a PC.

First thing to ask must be "Is the DVR networked?"

If not, then you are fighting a lossing battle to start with!

If it is, forward what ever port it uses in the router at the DVR site to the DVR's LAN IP address.

Setup a www.dyndns.com account, and use the router at the site (hopefully) to update this with IP changes - most routers can do this.

Use this dyndns name with the port number to access the DVR. Some DVR's allow viewing view web browsers, and some require software to be installed. The software is 99% of the time available to download from the DVR manufacturer website.

sfdude3569

Thanks for the replies. The DVR isn't networked or anything, right now its just hooked up to camera's and a tv. For some stupid reason, I can't find the brand name of the DVR, it's not on the DVR box, or in the manual, and the guy doesn't have the box it came it. Also please check this thread to see if I post anymore, this is the most complicated thing I've ever done, so I'm sure I'll have more questions. :D Thanks again

Lectrician

Look for a LAN RJ45 port on the back of the DVR. Without this there is nothing you can do - You would need to get a new DVR.

sfdude3569

I finally got all the hardware I needed to get everything connect, but I can't get the dvr to showup in my network. I also have a laptop connected to, but whenever I go to View computers and devices on the laptop my desktop computer will not shup up, the desktop will show up, the router and the laptop will show up, but the dvr and desktop will not show up, what am I doing wrong?? Also when I'm setting up the router and DVR do I need them to be set on static IP address or DHCP?

Lectrician

You need to set the DVR with a static address in the DVR settings (use the DVR monitor and the DVR menus). This IP needs to be in the same subnet as the router and other machines at that location. 192.168.x.x. The first x must be the same on all machines - usually 0 1 2 3 4 for example. The last x can be anything, but for a DVR it is typically above 100 - up out the way (no higher that 254). Dont set it the same as any thing else.

Once you have done this, you need to decide if you want to access the DVR via a web browser (if the DVR support this). If so, you need to port forward port 80 to the IP of the DVR. Then when you enter your static IP or dyndns name, your DVR login will appear.

Some DVR's do not allow access via web browsers, and you must install software to the machine you are remote accessing.

sfdude3569

Now whenever I go to easylink advisor, my DVR is showing up, but it just tells the Mac address, I went to the dvr menu and set the Ip. The DVR comes with a CD that says network viewer and it asks the Ip address, password, network mode, and local record path, but when I put in the password, and Ip, it just says connection failed.