"Dying" randomly/blackouts

The VCR King

Here is an image. To multiquote posts simple press the multiquote button here.

Then press the quote button on all the other posts that you want to reply to, you must hit the multiquote button first though before the others.

I noticed your browser is called "PaleMoon". Is that on Mac?

spirit

Staff member
I think it is probably the PSU failing because when I got the PC from my friend he said the PSU gave him troubles in the past as well, namely, random shutdowns/blackouts. I don't think it is the RAM because I have only had my Corsair Vengeance 8GB since this July when I upgraded the PC.

Could be PSU but just so you're aware RAM can go wrong at any time and can even be bad out of the box. I've bought sticks that have gone within a few weeks.

Tried resetting the BIOS?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The easiest way to reset the bios is to remove power cord from power supply, remove cmos battery from motherboard, press and hold the power button on the case for 10 seconds then wait 10 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power cable and try booting up. Your system date and time will have changed so you will need to set that back up, along with any special settings in the bios if you changed anything.

beers

Staff member
At this point you'd probably honestly be better off taking it back to Microcenter..

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, like I know how to do that... :rolleyes:

What you do mate is go into your BIOS and then find the option to reset it or load fail-safe defaults.

Read your motherboard manual if you're unsure!

Honestly, how experienced are you with computer hardware? I'm getting the impression from the fact that you don't know how to reset a BIOS and that you're scared to remove a graphics card to unplug a fan that you are probably very novice so I agree with Beers and just get somebody else to do it.

Last edited:

The VCR King

Sorry to bump this topic but it happened again today. No display from the GPU, no HDD activity, and no USB power. I could not use the power button to turn it off. I had to manually unplug the power supply and plug it back in and reset the machine. I don't know what is causing these strange blackouts but it is getting old really fast.

Is there a diagnostic software I can use and try to find the root of the issue? I am beginning to suspect it is my GPU drivers since, if you read my other topics, you'd know that they are acting pretty stupid.

The VCR King

It just happened again, but this time the PC totally powered off. Boom. Dead. Nothing.

I got it powered back on though, so I suspect my power supply has taken a crap. It's a Cougar CMX 1000-watt.

Edit: When I powered it on there was no power going to the motherboard or drives, but when I hit the reset button to reboot the machine everything had power.

Last edited:

The VCR King

It just happened again today. I was watching a TV stream (Nickreboot.com) and suddenly the stream began lagging then the computer instantly shut off. It just stopped. The whole system lost power. I just booted it up and it seems to be working fine again.

Edit: Does my computer take logs where I can see why it keeps dying or could it not take logs because it just loses power like *that*?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
I'd open Afterburner or something and monitor temps. Maybe your 2D clocks are getting stuck in 3D mode or similar (I've had that happen with my 290, 90C on desktop lol).

Did you ever replace your suspect PSU, or should it still be considered a potential culprit?

Punk

Staff member
There is going to be a time when you'll have to do something you've never done before... Otherwise you won't get anywhere.

If you're not willing to run at least memtest86 or even have the initiative to get it from their official website if you don't like softpedia then there is absolutely nothing we can do to help you.

You keeping us to date with your computer failing is useless unless you try what we told you.

The VCR King

I'd open Afterburner or something and monitor temps. Maybe your 2D clocks are getting stuck in 3D mode or similar (I've had that happen with my 290, 90C on desktop lol).

Did you ever replace your suspect PSU, or should it still be considered a potential culprit?

Ive been using Speccy to monitor my temps, and my idle temps are:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 32

Punk

Staff member
I'm going to be nice and show you a tutorial on how to run memtest86:

[ut]K5JuiUxATOI[/ut]