E-machine power supply and mother board

mjm

New Member
Well here it is I have a good hd and processor and case. The motherbord and power supply have gone out. I been to tiger direct and newegg. Newegg seems to have a better selection, however I am not sure what to get. I think my processor is a celeron 478 socket. Did not find anything at tigerdirect. Newegg has many choices of m/b. I just want to make sure I do have a 478 socket. Does anyone know how to tell? The m/b in there now is a imperial-gl-ve 20020930.

I also have a question about the power supplies. I saw many cheap ones that would probably work however will they fit my case without to much modifications? Newegg does not give to much info on their products. At newegg it looks like I can get all I need to rebuild with for about $100.00 that pretty darn good to serf the net with.

If anyone could tell me if my old m/b is a 478 for sure and a little info on the power supplies I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks: MJM
 
What is the emachine model number? You can go to the emachine support website and look up all the specs for that model. The Bestec 250w power supplies are time bombs waiting to go off-the 300w are a lot better. Most of the newer E-machine(last 4 years) use standard ATX power supplies that I know of.
 
Found the website does not tell me what the socket is on the mother board. But for a small fee they will tell me since it is out of warranty. Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard? Thanks
 
In my opinion you are wasting your money buying such an old motherboard. That Celeron processor is very obsolete. It would be a better investment buying a socket AM2 motherboard and going with a cheap AMD processor.

This single core AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 (2.2 gigahertz) processor is only $34.50 at NewEgg.com currently.

A Socket AM2 motherboard and 1 gigabyte of DDR2 RAM would probably cost you about another $80.

I would think about it before buying another motherboard for that Celeron processor.
 
In my opinion you are wasting your money buying such an old motherboard. That Celeron processor is very obsolete. It would be a better investment buying a socket AM2 motherboard and going with a cheap AMD processor.

This single core AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 (2.2 gigahertz) processor is only $34.50 at NewEgg.com currently.

A Socket AM2 motherboard and 1 gigabyte of DDR2 RAM would probably cost you about another $80.

I would think about it before buying another motherboard for that Celeron processor.
I agree, but also tack on another $80-100 for an OS if he doesn't have one already. The eMachines restore discs will be useless on a new motherboard.
Basically this is what I did with my eMachines case in April. I bought an AM2 microATX board, an Athlon X2 4200+, and 2GB of RAM for $150. I just re-used my OEM XP Home CD, and it all fit perfectly. A standard ATX power supply will also fit in that T1842 case.
Here's an excellent eMachines site: http://www.e4allupgraders.info/
Tom
 
Last edited:
Back
Top