E3200 4.0ghz results

87dtna

Well I set out to find out if I could get 4.0ghz stable on the new little celeron E3200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116265

I used a Biostar T-power I45 board, 2x2gb of OCZ platinum 1066, and two X1950 pro's in Xfire.

Preliminary results, this CPU clocked succesfully on stock voltage to 3.4ghz. I think a 1ghz overclock on stock Vcore is pretty impressive.

Well, I did indeed make it to 4.0ghz, but I do not like the options in the Bios for CPU voltage. It's one of those where it's like +.050v, +.100v, +1.50v, etc. So you can't set a precise voltage which is very annoying and causes you to overvolt the CPU more than necessary for a given overclock.
Anyway, with 4.0ghz still using the stock cooler (LOL) I was able to boot at 1.50 Vcore but would not stay prime95 stable. So at this point I was PO'd that I had to go an entire extra .05 volt for stability. But anyway, sure enough fully stable at 1.55 Vcore, but temps creep up past 70c in about 2 minutes of prime95 largeFFT. Max spec is 74c, so once I saw 70 I shut it down. I still think thats impressive though on a stock cooler with a 1.6ghz overclock.

Next step, hook up the TRUE cpu cooler I got sitting here, just wanted to see how good the stock cooler would do it's job. Perhaps 1.50 Vcore will stay stable if the CPU is cooler, and then I can get a little more out of it.

Next step after that is maxxing out FSB and turning down the multi. Anybody know what the max safe FSB voltage is? I got it set to 1.2v now.

For reference, batch # 3932A529

Stay tuned!

cpuz40ghz.jpg

3dmark4ghz.jpg

Last edited:

mx344

Holy smokes, im amazed at the 1ghz overclock w/o any voltage increase. very impressive.
Whats the stock voltage on that thing?

87dtna

Holy smokes, im amazed at the 1ghz overclock w/o any voltage increase. very impressive.
Whats the stock voltage on that thing?

Yeah me too.

1.275 volt I think. It was showing 1.26x in the bios, this board has some Vdroop.

3.6ghz only require +.050v, thats why I keep the 24/7 overclock at 3.6. After 3.6, seems the voltage needs ramped up quite a bit for stability. 3.8ghz required 1.425 Vcore.

Last edited:

mx344

Yeah me too.

1.275 volt I think. It was showing 1.26x in the bios, this board has some Vdroop.

Nice, i wonder how low you can undervolt that thing to run at stock speed, cause intel gave you a lot of leg room to play with it seems...

Nice overclock man:good:

87dtna

4.11 ghz stable for a minute before temps got too hot.

cpuz41ghz.jpg

Really need to change that cooler but I'm feeling lazy lol. If this was in my antec case I would change it right now because it doesn't require removal of the motherboard. I don't feel like taking the mobo out right yet.

Jet

VIP Member
You are gonna fry that chip if you keep going...1.6V on air through a 45nm chip is insane.

87dtna

You are gonna fry that chip if you keep going...1.6V on air through a 45nm chip is insane.

nah, it's gonna be a lot cooler now with the TRUE.

55c max core temp at 4.2ghz large FFT now that the true is installed

Jet

VIP Member
It's not all about temperatures--regardless of the temps, you still are risking it with 1.6V.

87dtna

Yes but it's more risky with higher temps.

It seems this CPU does not like high FSB speeds. Even with the multi down, can't get past 360 FSB.

Highest OC achieved stable enough to boot into windows is 4.26ghz

87dtna

400 was a no go, I did try that. Maybe I should try 500 LOL.

What kind of FSB voltage should I be running? I had it as high as 1.35v, stock is 1.10 so I wasn't sure.