E6420 Microphone Driver Issue

SpringWater

Hi,

A while ago I purchased a refurbished E6420 laptop. I haven't really thought of using skype on it until now. I found out that the laptop does not have any drivers installed for its microphone and therefore doesn't detect its internal mic. I installed every single driver on dell's website. None of them seem to work in terms of the microphone. I was able to find a lot of information regarding this issue for the model of my laptop that has a build in camera. Mine does not and the driver on dell's website doesn't appear to make my mic work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DMGrier

VIP Member
Okay, this may seem silly to ask but did you try opening Device Manager, finding the mic and having it check Windows update?

EDIT: Also have you ruled out if the Mic is defective? A good test is to burn Ubuntu to a thumb drive. Boot to the thumb drive and once Ubuntu loads the installer select the try first option. This will not install Ubuntu but load you into a Ubuntu Desktop running from memory. Click on the Ubuntu logo and search for the "Sound Settings". Click on the Mic tab and see if Ubuntu recognizes you have a mic. Just like in Windows you will see a input volume indicator bouncing as sound is detected.

to date I have never seen the default drivers in Linux not see the Microphone or web cam. This would at least tell you if the OS can properly see the hardware.

Last edited: