E6600 woes.

addle_brains

It will not overclock. I am using a GIGABYTE S series, 1GB of DDR2 ram, 500w PSU. Temp monitor says CPU is never over 15 Celsius (stock cooling!) I have tried a few methods of overclocking, yet it never works and the system keeps resetting itself to 1.8Ghz (even though the E6600 is rated for 2.4.)

1: In the bios settings there is an option to OC automatically a core 2 duo using FSB1066 and 533 ram (as long as I have that, which I do.) On reboot, the POST fails and the mobo resets and goes back to 1.8 GHz

2: Manually setting OC in bios has same result.

3: Using the tool that came with my motherboard, I tried overclocking, which simply leads to the system freezing. On reboot, the mobo once again reets to the low clock speed.

frost02

firstly are you sure its a 6600? lol

second. make sure the automatic oc isnt on, set it to manual or normal settings. ..

hmm better yet.. it might be good to reset your bios(remove battery or however you wanna do it) it might be some setting you enabled without knowing or something

The_Other_One

VIP Member
What software are you using to check your temps? If you're using Speedfan, it can be pretty far off. PC Wizard is typically the most accurate, besides software made specifically for the motherboard or Processor. Or...just get the readings from the bios :p

addle_brains

Computer is only new (about 2 weeks.) The default setting for the BIOS is 1.8GHz but I am 100% certain that the CPU is an E6600. I built the computer myself from scratch. The software I am using is GIGABYTE easy-tune. Also, BIOS settings report the temp at about 20 degrees. Origonally, setting automatic overclocking would work, but now it doesn't. The motherboard is only rated for 533MHz memory so that is what I'm using. The symptom here is that no matter how I do it, the comp won't run at optimum clock speeds let alone overclocked ones.

addle_brains

No, this is a 945GZM-S2, which can support up to 1066 FSB. It may be the updated bios version which gigabyte downloaded when i installed the chipset drivers.

PabloTeK

I doubt it, you appear to be suffering the major bugbear of the 945 chipsets. It's annoying no doubt but you'll have to overclock to get up to stock speeds.

addle_brains

This is the problem. I cannot overclock! If i overclock in BIOS, during POST I can briefly see it display the new clock speed I set and then it gets halfway through the POST and the system resets. I've looked at all the setting and I can't find anything.

PabloTeK

The multiplier is maxed at 9 already, you're probably best asking Rambo about overclocking seeing as he's good at it.