E8400: Which Mobo and Ram Speed/size?

michaelmcgo

I am building a computer for my brother. He has given me an $800 budget (no monitor or OS, computer only) to build a computer for games and the internet. I am thinking about the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3 for the Mobo, will this hold the E8400 back at all? I am going with a single $200ish GPU (still open on which one). I can get 4 GBs of DDR2 800 for the same price as 2 GBs of DDR3 1333, which should I go with here (He will be running Vista 32bit)?
Thanks in advance.

vix

The e8400 is a wonderful processor, and is a fast either overclocked or at the default 3 GHz setting. For a general build, it should be fine.

Keep in mind though, that with that board ONLY THE DDR2 MEMORY WILL WORK. DDR3 is incompatible.

Droogie

Yea, and if you are using 4 GB or ram on 32 Bit vista, it will only recognized about 3.5 GB. I doublt DDR3 RAM will fit into an $800 budget either.

michaelmcgo

So, will going with 800 speed RAM hurt the performance that much of the E8400? Will the extra 1.5 GB of 800 speed RAM help me more than the extra speed of 1333 speed ram?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
So, will going with 800 speed RAM hurt the performance that much of the E8400? Will the extra 1.5 GB of 800 speed RAM help me more than the extra speed of 1333 speed ram?

DDR2-800 is all you need. Getting any faster RAM is like getting a Murcielago to send your kids to soccer practice.