Ea: spore backlash

4NGU$

VIP Member
Global class action law suit launched against EA over Spore DRM

That's right, a global class action law suit is going to hit EA over the DRM used in Spore. The suit attacks the DRM used in Spore, citing that consumers are not told fully about it before purchase that it is a separate and stand-alone program which will download, install and operate on their computers. Even if the game is deleted, the SecuROM DRM remains a permanent fixture on the consumers hard drive until it is formatted. So this law suit asserts it is going to fight that EA purposely never told consumers that the Spore game disk never had this second hidden program (DRM) which is secretly installed on computers.

the whole document can be found here:
http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/09/23/Spore.pdf

also i found this witch i thought rings true

sporefail.jpg

4NGU$

VIP Member
im no good at explaining this stuff

but in short its the thing that restricts the amount of installs you get of spore
but the point is that is a separte secrate operation that uses your computers, Memory, cpu etc
without telling you

its all in that document, about page 4-7

funkysnair

VIP Member
thats not good--this is the kinda thing they need to get control of, we are buying our componants to get used by unknown applications PFFFFFFFT

and look at the response in red text--thats like a very stern warning or even a threat.......

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yes, if you look at the ratings at Newegg, Spore is at about a 2 even though the game is great! Every single negative comment is because of this limiting thing that they decided to do with the game. I really don't understand how today's corporations get off thinking that they can just blindly rip off people without any remorse.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
The really sad part is the game's awesome... Kinda like the new version of Legos with all the customizations that you can do.

gamerman4

If spore was a good game, i would have bought it, i got a pirated version, played about 3 hours and uninstalled it.

gamerman4

Its like they took the Sims formula, ripped every bit of challenge out and threw in some cuddly monsters.

DirtyD86

banned
Its like they took the Sims formula, ripped every bit of challenge out and threw in some cuddly monsters.

yes, the sims formula, but dumbed down to an unrecognizable degree. the creature creation mode was great, i will give them that. but that's more of something you play around with for a few minutes and never touch again. almost like a customize your character feature that most games have; it is a nice feature but isnt a game. granted, spore takes it to a much higher level but it still isn't a game.

once you are done with your creature and "the game" starts, its like being taken back 15 years in gaming history. click here, watch object move to location and do something, then click somewhere else, then repeat process.

its a lump of shit, and i want will wrights nuts in a jar for letting it become hyped as the greatest game ever, and then releasing this.

DrCuddles

I think i disagree with everyone here lol.. I really enjoy spore and can't get enough of it, what they are doing with their security of the product is wrong, as is every company who uses that is wrong to use it but I don't need to reinstall and so I am really liking the game :p

Explain what you guys have against it so much?

scooter

banned
I don't hate the game, I just don't find it terribly fun. The graphics are pretty basic, IMO and it seems like it was made with only little children in mind.

Cool concept but poor execution---overhyped like so many things these days, which lead people to believe facts that simply are not true.

..And this relatively new revelation that the OP has mentioned certainly doesn't make you wanna run out and get the game now.

--my 2 cents.