Earphones

Gabriel

Hi, I usually use earphones on my notebook, but for some reason they stopped working today.

I mean, I have sound, but it is coming from the notebook built-in speakers, not the earphones.
The microphone that comes with the earphones is still working. It uses a different plug, but they are built in one piece.

I tried another earphone, and that doesn't work either. What should I do? I use Vista.

Gabriel

I tried opening the notebook with a screwdriver, but I was afraid to pull the base to hard.

Do you have any suggestions/tips?

cohen

Next thing...

Next thing to try is reinstall sound driver.

By the way - what brand is your laptop and model number???

Gabriel

I have already tried to update it, but I think it is trough the windows website. I'll go check the manufacturer, but why would that affect anything? It was working fine.

My notebook is a Gateway MT6711

cohen

Could be that the "sound" card has died.... does it still have a warranty???

Last edited:

Gabriel

Why the video card??

And the sound card seems fine. The sound still comes out from the built-it speakers.
I don't think I still have a warranty. In the gateway website it says:
Warranty Info: Not Available

cohen

Could be that the "sound" card has died.... does it still have a warranty???

Why the video card??

And the sound card seems fine. The sound still comes out from the built-it speakers.
I don't think I still have a warranty. In the gateway website it says:
Warranty Info: Not Available

Sorry i have been replying to video card problems threads - it's no change - sound card could have died.

Gabriel

And what would be the solution? Should I buy a new one?

Or is there any other means to be sure that it has died?

salman

erm a possible solution would be to buy some USB headphones

The sound card itself probably hasn't died just maybe the part leading to the jack or maybe the jack itself.

oregon

It could be set to output to speakers and not to headphones. To check this, go to control panel, sound. It should list your sound devices, then right click and make the headphones the default device. They will need to be plugged in.