Easy Linux

kb1ghc

I would like to know what distro of linux is easiest to use. I found that Mandrake Linux is easiest to install, and configure, but i can never get a single program to install. does anyone have any recommendations for either an easy linux distrobution, or some way to make installing software without getting any stupid dependency errors? I've been trying to use linux for a while, can't seem to get anything to work right.

I've tryed
Lycoris
Mandrake
RedHat

they are all pretty stuborn

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well Mandrake and Redhat (in that order) are probably the easiest to get going (short of Knoppix) .... what kinda software were you trying to configure?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
As for TuxRacer, some people I know have reported major issues with ATI video cards and bad drivers not being able to get them to work until the drievrs were sorted out.

Odd that you cant get the builtin programs to work... have you tried just flying through the installation and taking default options everywhere? :)

[tab]

[...]
Maybe you could try one of the Distros based on Debian. Debian's APT program is quite good with dependencies, although Debian itself has a reputation for being hard to install.

[tab]

[...]
It's been a while since I installed Debian, but I just did the "workstation" install (something like that anyway) and installed/uninstalled what I wanted using apt-get. It's been going strong for over a year, so it's all good.