Ebay Question

dixieman

This may be a really stupid question, but:

How do guys sell Dell, IBM, etc computers on Ebay for cheaper than the companies sell the exact same machine??

SFR

Truth fears no questions
dixieman said:

How do guys sell Dell, IBM, etc computers on Ebay for cheaper than the companies sell the exact same machine??

You lower your Minimum Bid.

dixieman

What?

For example, a Dell Inspiron 5160 for $900 on Ebay. The same computer from Dell costs $1200. How is he selling it for $900 (not a bid, a "Buy It Now")?

Rambo

well, I use eBay alot...but I have never tried to sell anything - just bought computer components.....

Isn't there an option when you sell something where you can select "buy it now"? It shouldn't be hard mate....

dixieman

Rambo, I know how to use Ebay.

What I'm asking is, how do other guys sell computers from companies like Dell for cheaper than what Dell sells them for??

The only person you can buy a Dell from is Dell. So, how could you sell it for less than you pay for it?

The reason I ask is because I found a laptop I wanna get, but it seems fishy to me because they're selling it at a REALLY good price. They have good feedback and all, but the price is still lower than what Dell sells it for.

Bobo

banned
dixieman said:

The companies might be making $300, but the people selling them are content to earn $200, bc they got it really cheap somewhere

They might also be stolen, not exist, etc

Underground_Evo

You shouldnt have a problem buying one from them, but you may want to read through it and make sure it isn't refurbished/used. And usually they come with like a 30 day return policy. So, i wouldnt be too scared to go ahead and buy it.

~Evo

dixieman said:

Hi. I know quite a bit of ebay, I sell as well as buy. Now I have the same question, but I THINK the answer is buyers see it is a good price, so they bid. This keeps going on until the retail price is met. Again I'm not sure on that, but that is what happened to me when I bought my iPod on eBay. Also, there might be a reserve price. For those of you who don't know what a reserve price is, it is a price that if it isn't met the seller doesn't have to sell you the item. Hope I could help! If you have any further questions email me and I'll try to answer them!

computermaineack

SFR

Truth fears no questions
..all I meant by "Minimum bid" was that when you sell something on EBAY you give it a starting price. Dell and other companies are going to set that starting price higher than I might start the bid.

When you see a well-known company on eBay you are inherently going to trust them more than a person who is by him/her self selling their own products. This is why companies can charge more for the same product.

There a more than a few people on this forum who can build you at least twice the computer a large company would build for the price. But what you might lose is warranties etc...

Verrona

They do this by buying PC's and selling them on eBay. However the reserve price mite b lower than the retail price.

rars222

Many of the Dell laptops sold are brand new product with full USA warranty. I've asked the same questions in the EBAY forums. I recently purchased a Dell 600 on Ebay for like $900 and it retailed close to $1,300.

If you read the posts carefully, you may start to notice a line in the purchase order (most post them for computer specs) which says "Dell Soft Contract". I am sure there is some "wholesale" program maybe based on quantity that allows for a decent profit on Ebay.

With Toshiba and similar manufacturers, they may "drop ship". Where the person selling on Ebay doesn't actually "buy" the product for resale. They sell it on Ebay and put the order thru the manufacturer. The manufacturer ships to the buyer directly and bills the Ebay seller (who's already collected payment and shipping from buyer).

There are people on Ebay actually selling the "lists" of these wholesalers. It is probably very profitable if you know your product. I would think 95% of those lists are bogus. BUT someone, somewhere is making it happen.

I am always careful ensure that the products I am interested in are genuine USA products (I live in the US). If they aren't (considered grey market), the company may not warranty it, because it was manufactured for resell outside the US only.

I don't have solid answers, but this has been my experience with Ebay. Just be VERY careful when pruchasing big ticket items on Ebay. In the forums there is some good info on scams and whatnot. Information is very valuable.

rars222

One other note:

I've noticed if the price is really attractive - the shipping is not. That is a good way for them to sell and still hit their price. You think you are getting a deal, but if shipping costs close to $100, then you may get as good a deal at Dell with free shipping,

supersly_jones

always check shipping and hidden charges....people selling computer components always try and find a way to get you attracted to the item and you bid being dumb and find out shipping is 50 bucks for a hard drive or a desktop case...i've seen cases sell for 3 cents on ebay...but shipping is around 50 to 70 bucks....ebay makes it difficult to get a good deal for new computer components...the cheapest way i have found is using froogle....put your search in and get a few thousand entries....this way you get a real store....with next day shipping....you pay like 4 bucks for shipping....you know your going to get the item....you don't have to fiddle with being outbidding and such....
thus i have a hard time buying computer stuff on ebay because of the shipping....everything else seems to not have the inflation on shipping....just my 2 cents...ok well maybe 4 cents