Email hacked/virus

bm23

Just a few minutes ago, my hotmail account started sending this message to every contact. "Hundreds of lovely woman will be glad to get a letter from you.http://ceramiccoatingsfl.com/www.foxnews.reallynews.healthtoday3.php?alinkFriend=0xlj5". I found out because some of the emails were not delivered. Is there anyway I can fix this?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Just change your email password. Be sure it uses plenty of different characters (capitols, numbers, and symbols). Also double check the email settings for different forwards, send as addresses, etc.

bm23

Thanks, will do just that. Just a question, what happened? Was it a virus on my PC or was my email manually hacked? I was always under the impression that I'd need to click a malicious link to get this sort of thing and I'm damn sure I never clicked on any of that since I can always tell the difference.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Nope, you don't need to do anything for it to happen. Hotmail is one of the most common email providers to be hacked. It's just people who brute force hack an account.