Email problem.

NLAlston

Hello all.

I have an email issue, and hope I am addressing it in the right area. What's happening is this: I just recently set up a business email address at AOL. In testing delivery, from my other email account (Gmail), my desktop computer doesn't show email being delivered there. However, I DO see said email messages, delivered to that AOL account, on my smart phone. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

beers

Staff member
I would personally be hesitant to engage in a business using an AOL email address.

If it's being presented on your AOL app with the phone then it at least made it into the inbox from an internet perspective. Are you using the fat client or the web client on the computer to check?

NLAlston

Thanks, beers.

Why did you speak as you did, in your first sentence, on hesitancy in using AOL as a business address? I sense that you know what you're talking about, and only ask so as to be armed with whatever knowledge, needed, to avoid associating my little business with another email provider. I have a small, one-man woodworking business, that I have recently started, and don't have a website, as yet. But I would prefer having a dedicated email address for it.

Regarding your questioning a Fat Client/Web Client checkup feature, I have to be honest and say that I have no idea as to what they are :(.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Probably because no one in their right mind would use AOL. It's been dead for years. A lot of businesses use Gmail as their business address as its the most common and probably the best available anymore. Some use their internet providers email service.

beers

Staff member
hesitancy in using AOL as a business address?
No worries, AOL hasn't been relevant for some time but it generally conveys a lack of IT understanding and the users are generally strict against any sort of change or adaptation. If you wanted your own website then it's a good idea to host email on that same domain name.
and say that I have no idea as to what they are :(.
did you have to download/run a program or do you go to https://mail.aol.com in your browser (or something similar)

NLAlston

Probably because no one in their right mind would use AOL. It's been dead for years. A lot of businesses use Gmail as their business address as its the most common and probably the best available anymore. Some use their internet providers email service.
Hi John.

I, honestly, hadn't been aware that AOL was (now) so seemingly out of the loop :).

NLAlston

No worries, AOL hasn't been relevant for some time but it generally conveys a lack of IT understanding and the users are generally strict against any sort of change or adaptation. If you wanted your own website then it's a good idea to host email on that same domain name.

did you have to download/run a program or do you go to https://mail.aol.com in your browser (or something similar)
Hey there, Beers.

If I am fully understanding what you were asking, in your last sentence, I did not have to download/run a program . I called myself signing up for a new (2nd AOL account), and ran into the earlier mentioned situation. I do have two other email accounts (one, with Gmail, and the other with Yahoo) of which I have encountered no headaches with either. I had previously thought that only one email address could be associated with a phone number - which is why I had tried to set up a third account, elsewhere. Just a little while ago I found out that providers usually allow for a number of email accounts to be on the same phone number (GMail allows for four, if I remember correctly), and I have just set up my third email address WITH GMail.

Last edited by a moderator:

theitaliansauce

AOL is just a dinosaur but still, some boomers still use it. This is the problem our lead generation team runs into with AOL accounts. They've been rolling out different lead gen strategies and tricks to verify emails. Some emails bounce even after verifying if it's a legitimate one using hunter and other email verification software.