Email server security certificate expired?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I'm trying to fix a problem for my parents' email, but I'm not sure how this works. When they check their email (SBC Global/AT&T), Avast comes up with a warning that the email server's (something like pop.att.yahoo) security certificate has expired, and the email won't check or download. I tried updating Avast but that didn't work.

I'm reluctant to ignore the warning and just bypass it, because I don't know what problems could arise from this issue. Does anyone know what to do here?

Thanks!

beers

Staff member
What's the specific URL? I'd check the system clock or similar to make sure it's accurate from a time/date perspective. If it's any large email provider (such as ATT) the chances are higher of it being a your-computer-issue.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
One of my clients contacted me yesterday with the same message. Att/yahoo has drastically gone down hill lately. Could be anything from time and date not set correctly on pc to wrong port numbers being used on email server settings. Make sure incoming port is 995 and outgoing is 465.

JohnJSal

Thanks for the responses. The time and date are set correctly, as are the ports. Nothing has changed on our end (as far as I know) to cause this problem.

Edit: Removed images

Last edited: