Emojis on Instagram

Dimitri

I see people post all sorts of emojis on Instagram, microphones, stars, all sorts of randoms stuff, but I can't figure out how it's done. I have three keyboards on my phone, Samsung, Google and Swift and I can't find any emojis on them.

How do you get that wide range of emojis?

All I can get is a few of the standard ones like :), but even at that, the phone transforms them into the android version of smileys, which look like this except black and white:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/L5FFj.png

which I wish it would stop doing, but I can't figure out how to get it to give me standard smileys either.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. Some apps won't update on older software. Even going from a note 3 to an s8, I see differences in the apps..

Dimitri

I get regular updates for Instagram, so I'd figure I'd have all the latest features, but then I don't have face filters, either, so I suppose it's possible.

But isn't the range of emojis you have available down to the keyboard you're using?

beers

Staff member
️️️️️️️

Stock Android keyboard on 7.0 nougat. I believe different os versions get different versions of the software based on what's supported in the underlying os code.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170708-101314.png
    Screenshot_20170708-101314.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 4

Dimitri

I can't for the life of me understand why I can't get emojis. Not just instagram, but anywhere on my phone.

I have Google Keyboard, Samsung keyb and Swype installed and all I can get is the stock android smileys that I linked to in the first post.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 running Neat ROM 6.4

beers

Staff member
I can't for the life of me understand why I can't get emojis.
Samsung Galaxy S2
You have an old phone with old software. You need a new phone.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Please keep in mind that neatrom 6.4 (based on Android 4.1.2) has a build date of 2013..

Maybe you can find a ROM based on 4.4? It looks like there was an emoji compatibility release for 4.4 and up:
https://developer.android.com/topic/libraries/support-library/preview/emoji-compat.html

Last edited:

Dimitri

What do you recommend I do OS-wise, since it seems I need an update? Go for the official OS or one of these custom jobs, or what? Smartphones are very new to me, so I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Darren

Staff member
Well your S2 is likely on the latest Android version officially supported. Considering you're new to smartphones you're better off just rolling without emoji's than risk bricking your device trying to flash a workaround OS on there.

Dimitri

Get a new phone. You are 6 generations behind, the S8 is out

I'm not buying a new phone just because a new one is out when I have a phone that works. If I can't have emojis I'll survive, but if there's a way to install a more recent OS, I'd like to do that.

Darren

Staff member
I'm not buying a new phone just because a new one is out when I have a phone that works. If I can't have emojis I'll survive, but if there's a way to install a more recent OS, I'd like to do that.
You're not buying a new phone "just because it's out". You've had multiple issues and threads relating to this phone. I understand not wanting to spend the money but can't really get upset with us for pointing out the true solution.

Flash at your own risk. I wouldn't hassle with it, particularly older devices seem more prone to bricking.

Dimitri

You're not buying a new phone "just because it's out". You've had multiple issues and threads relating to this phone. I understand not wanting to spend the money but can't really get upset with us for pointing out the true solution.

Flash at your own risk. I wouldn't hassle with it, particularly older devices seem more prone to bricking.

Buying a new phone because the current one is busted is ok, but it seemed to me what the fella was saying there was "newer models are out, buy one," not "buy a new phone because the current one doesn't work." I get frustrated with that line, because I've heard it before and it's a practice I don't go for and the comment isn't helpful.

Regarding the problems I've had, yes, I've had problems, but they've mostly been minor (not being able to get emojis and face filters), not something that comes close to justifying buying a new phone.

beers

Staff member
I get frustrated with that line, because I've heard it before and it's a practice I don't go for and the comment isn't helpful.
I understand the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality, however it doesn't apply so much with technology.

You'll be surprised at the difference by even a low end modern phone such as the Moto E4 plus