Encrypted wireless...

Motoxrdude

My friend has a problem. He has wireless for his laptop that was setup for him. He was never told the password for the encryption, but it was stored in his computer, like it was set up so that the computer would remember the encryption. Anyways, he reformated his comp and he doesnt know that password. It was set up by his cousin and his cousin doesnt remember it either. So he doesnt want to reset his router because it will never work for him. IMO he can never can get the damn thing working, and neither can I, so what i am asking:

Is there a way for him to figure out the encryption password without having to reset his router? If there isnt a way, then i guess ill have to reset it for him, but i dread not to because it doesnt like going threw setup. The computer never recognizes the HUB. Thanks...

suprasteve

if he doesn't have a password for changing the router's options, he can get into the router and change all the encryption settings in there, other than that the only option is resetting it

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I believe that even with the password to get into the router settings, you still need the original encrytion to change it. It's worth a shot anyway, but I have a feeling that you will have to reformat...

lee101

VIP Member
you should be able to simply log into the router config, go to the encryption page then on all the routers i have setup it shows the encryption key there, but if it doesn;t just add a new one, i doubt you would need the original key just to change it

Lee :D

Trizoy

VIP Member
And if you dont have a password to login to the router, do a hard reboot. Deletes all info.

Motoxrdude

He has a linksys wireless router. It is encrypted, and after he reformated, the computer lost the data about the encryption, IMO it forgot the password, and no one knows. I have tried to reset the router as in reconfigure it, but the computer doesnt even recognize the router, and i have used 2 computers. And if you do a hard reboot on the router the wireless goes down and you have to reconfigure it for it to work.

All i am asking is, is it possible to find out the encryption password so that he doesnt have to buy a new router?

Trizoy

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
All i am asking is, is it possible to find out the encryption password so that he doesnt have to buy a new router?

Are you a complete idiot? You will need to USE A LAN CABLE to connect to the router. You login with //192.168.1.1 or //192.168.2.1 It may ask for a password. IF you cant guess the password, then do a HARD REBOOT. (this will delete everything) Then when you login via the LAN cable connection there is no password.. Then reset up the the router, and write down the ecryption key.

To answer your question YES, there is a way to break the encryption, but I am sure nobody here will show you how... It is difficult, and requires multiple OS's on multiple Laptops (and other tools aswell)

apj101

VIP Member
And if you dont have a password to login to the router, do a hard reboot. Deletes all info.
not sure any amount of restarting will do that, unless you open up the case

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
lol, dont buy a new router, the necryption is onyl on wireless, obviously, so just hook up a laptop/computer with an ehtherenet cable, get into the router through there and take off the encryption, bang, done.

Motoxrdude

dragon2309 said:
lol, dont buy a new router, the necryption is onyl on wireless, obviously, so just hook up a laptop/computer with an ehtherenet cable, get into the router through there and take off the encryption, bang, done.
Already tried that.... No computer recognizes the router.... We even had the "qeek" squad come, they reomended a new router...

apj101

VIP Member
@Motoxrdude: Your about to recieve my brand of hard love.
Lets get this staight there are 2 types of "password" in effect here.
1) The WEP encryption key, which is the key used to encrypt information sent between the router and the machines. This in reality is not a password, it is an encyption key, if you call it a password again i will be very upset.
2) the router password and user name (henceforth known as the router password). This is the password that you need to log into the config page of the router once you are already connected to it (via wires or wireless)

Which dont you know!
If you know the router password then just plug any machine into the router via a wire, log into the config page using the password (and info supplies by trizoy), and in these setting you will see the options to change the wireless encyption key.. you will not need the old one EVER!
I cant express how easy this task is.

if, however, you dont know the router password you are screwed, resetting it will not change this, and the procedure to do it is complicated (ie requirer opeing the case)

Fiberop

apj101 said:
@Motoxrdude: Your about to recieve my brand of hard love.
Lets get this staight there are 2 types of "password" in effect here.
1) The WEP encryption key, which is the key used to encrypt information sent between the router and the machines. This in reality is not a password, it is an encyption key, if you call it a password again i will be very upset.
2) the router password and user name (henceforth known as the router password). This is the password that you need to log into the config page of the router once you are already connected to it (via wires or wireless)

Which dont you know!
If you know the router password then just plug any machine into the router via a wire, log into the config page using the password (and info supplies by trizoy), and in these setting you will see the options to change the wireless encyption key.. you will not need the old one EVER!
I cant express how easy this task is.

if, however, you dont know the router password you are screwed, resetting it will not change this, and the procedure to do it is complicated (ie requirer opeing the case)

I have a wrt54gs linksys and I also forgot my password to log on to the config page. There is a reset button on it that will set it back to it's default settings, including the password. The default password is admin.

If your computer won't connect using wireless after resetting the modem to it's default settings then do what everyone said and run a cat5 to it and connect. You can then change the settings so it will work again wireless

Motoxrdude

OK, i know the password to the router. But the problem is that the computer DOES NOT recognize the router. It just says "cannot connect to router". So i am wondering if i can figure our the WEP encryption key. So basicly if i cant figure out the WEP encryption key, he has to get a new wireless router.

The Weather

Now, correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't it "not-so-complicated" to change encryption? I thought you had lost the router password - the password for logging in to the settings page. If you are able to log in, you should be fine. However, I have never changed the encryption.

apj101

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
OK, i know the password to the router. But the problem is that the computer DOES NOT recognize the router. It just says "cannot connect to router". So i am wondering if i can figure our the WEP encryption key. So basicly if i cant figure out the WEP encryption key, he has to get a new wireless router.
arrr you do not need to connect wirelessy, just conect the router to the machine with an enther net cable. In fact forget you even know what the word wireles means. Take a netwrok cable, put one end in the ethernet port of your machine, put the other end in the router, make sure you lan conection is enable. Then enter the router config pages.

As for this "error", when do you get it, when you connect wirelesly (which you cant do) or when you connect the machine and router via a network cable

Motoxrdude

apj101 said:
arrr you do not need to connect wirelessy, just conect the router to the machine with an enther net cable. In fact forget you even know what the word wireles means. Take a netwrok cable, put one end in the ethernet port of your machine, put the other end in the router, make sure you lan conection is enable. Then enter the router config pages.

As for this "error", when do you get it, when you connect wirelesly (which you cant do) or when you connect the machine and router via a network cable
DUDE! I know what the hell wireless is. This is pissing me off, sorry to be rude. IM NOT AN IDIOT. I did it WITH a network cable/ehternet cable, plugged both ends in. One in the computer, one in the router. The computer does NOT recognize it. I have ran the linksys stuff from there website. NO luck. I even had a geek squad guy come out, but he had no idea and said that it was broken.

So is there a way for me to find out the WEP key for the wireless, without having to connect to the wireless with a cable? Thanks.

Trizoy

VIP Member
what are you typing in ther ie browser to log in? You should type something like //home //192.168.1.1 //192.168.2.1

IS THIS HOW YOU ARE LOGGING INTO THE ROUTER SETUP?

Motoxrdude

I CANNOT CONNECT TO THE ROUTER. Any settings that are in the router is permaent. I cannot connect to the router. No computer can connect to it. Router does not like to be connected to, doesnt work. I can get internet threw the router via cable, or wireless, and that is as far as i can go. Nothing will work except the internet for the router. Now is there a way to figure out the WEP key without having to change any settings in the router, because the router is not recognized by any computer. Thanks

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, if the hard wired part of the router is hosed, then I would vote for just breaking down, saving yourself some stress, and getting a new router. It's hard to figure out what a WEP is, and it can't be discussed on this website anyway, per forum rules. So, have some Office Space fun with the thing and get him a new one :).