Encrypted wireless...

apj101

VIP Member
Take it easy buddy, the reason everyone was getting irate is because you weren;t clear as to what you had tried ;), no lets all calm down and focus on the problem

Now is there a way to figure out the WEP key without having to change any settings in the router, because the router is not recognized by any computer.
Look, i mean this in the nicest possible way, but for you no. The process required is very hard, required good linux skills, and to be honest i'd say only 1-2% of people on this site could do it.

Now if you are based in the UK, dont throw the router away, send it to me. I'll pay postage. I am of course joking, but this gives you an indication of how sure i am that your router is working just fine.

The chances that the ports on the router are broken is so small that i will shrug it off untill the last moment. Now i think we need to focus on this rather than simply write it off. So lets start:
You say your computer doesn;t recongnise the router... firstly there is no recongnition issue here, more of a connection issue. So lets call it what it is.

Now a quick question... do the lights on the ether net port on the desktop flash?

After connection of the cable give me a screen shot of your ipconfig /all command. I want a screen shot not a type out.

Last edited:

Fiberop

apj101 said:
the reset button does not revert the password to the default

I guess I'm confused then. I tried connecting to my router with the password in my book and it wouldn't work. After trying different things I decided to hit the reset button. I'll also went online and found info on the linksys site about what the default password was. After resetting the modem I just typed in admin for a password with no login name. It got me the setup page. I redid the password and now everything's fine.

I'm not sure how this would have worked if in fact it didn't reset the password.

Motoxrdude

Alright, he got a new one. Free two:) It was under warrenty. Thanks for the replys... And the guys at circuit city tried it to make sure it was under warranty and they couldnt figure it out either. It just didnt work:p