End of the mouse era?

TFT

VIP Member
Needs to go a way yet, my cursor is pushed to the edge of the screen while i scan all over the page with my eyes. How would it know whether you are reading a link or want to 'click' using your eye?
Would you wink at it ;)

I believe Stephen Hawking already uses similar to this.

Last edited:

tech savvy

maybe something like... when you scrunch your eyes, it knows your reading, and when you open them wide, you want to click. I really dont know, just throwing some theories out there.

TekMaster

That is pretty interesting, thanks for the share. Stephen Hawking would love this. I, myself, think I will pass on that. Or maybe get one in several years, if they ever do hit the stores, just to play with. I'll always stick with my good ol' trackball though, no question.

SuperDuperMe

I cant help but think call of duty would seriously become a noob fest with this.

Look, shoot, forget. People would be able to just play in one room on the map and see who stays alive the longest. Gues sthat would be th eonly use for call of duty if this were implemented in game :p

PohTayToez

Talk about eye fatigue...

This is a amazing technology for the disabled but I can't see catching on with the general public. Mice aren't going anywhere for a while.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I will rather stick to the mouse lol.Sometimes I move my eyes around like nuts,but don't wanna do anything on the computer.So now just imaginate what would happen to my system xD I would screw everything up and have to reinstall every day xD

Imaginate yourself playing games like Doom 3 with your eyes.When you get scared like sh!t,your eyes rool like crazy lol.So imaginate what would that do in-game hahaha xD xD xD

Trivium

I'm sure many people's eyes wander at times when doing anything on the computer, and with this eye tracking technology, your might very well end up scrolling when you don't want to, or making many unintentional commands. Not to mention the eye fatigue you'd probably end up with.

I can also see it being a problem say, if you want the screen to remain static while you're looking around the screen, or away from the computer. Having the screen move with your gaze would probably annoy me more than being able to control and fix its position through tactile means. Still, it would be great for disabled people, and perhaps to have as an option until the novelty wears out, but I can't see it replacing the mouse any time soon, if indeed ever.

mathew90

Very interesting development.

I think the mouse era will eventually end, but not through this technology. Despite seeming pretty tiring after a while it will probably be a mixture of various different controls that will eventually end the mouse era as we know it.